1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MIL (red triangle of death) Check your battery!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MissP2006, Mar 20, 2018.

1. MissP2006

MissP2006 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Y’all!

I want to start off by saying this is my very first post.
    I’ve quietly been a dedicated Prius Chat member for almost a decade now. I’ve saved lots and lotts of money and can’t thank you all enough!

I felt the need to finally post this because of how much this forum has helped me throughout the years!

I have an 06 Prius with 325,000k miles on it, I know I’ve been having some manifold and battery trouble (12V/aux battery trouble) but recently the triangle of death appeared and wouldn’t go off. My car wouldn’t drive and I had some very strong gas smells. I figured my car was toast. However I decided today to check the battery in the back and the vent tube was disconnected. I plugged it back in and turned the Prius back on and Voila! The triangle of death went off and my car started running again! The CEL is still on and I definitely still have a manifold leak/low battery voltage but I was able to drive my Prius again, and the red triangle of death went off!

Hopefully I can help some people in the future!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    a vent tube is not your problem. If you experience it again, it may be time to read the codes.

Often time, it could be related to a failed inverter pump. When the car cools down, the triangle goes away. As it gets warm, the triangle returns.

Raytheeagle, bisco and SFO like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how old is the 12v?