1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mildew/mold smell from AC? A remedy checklist question.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ericisbacchus, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Okay...

Let me know if I'm doing the right things

1. Spray sanitizer in it (already done)
    2. Flush kit from Toyota ???
    3. New evaporator coil

Trying to remedy this problem.

Thanks

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The real fix, is when you run the AC, no matter what setting, you time your trip so during the last 10-15 minutes of your journey you TURN OFF THE AC!
    Open the outside air vents, slip the fan into high, and most import, open both back windows at least 1 inch or better. The Prius is NOT a balloon, all that air and moisture has to go some where! :eek:
    This process will dry out most if not all of the moisture that has condensed on the AC ductwork, which is the start of the mold growing yeech smell thing!
    I am in L.A. where dry is normal, so 15% humidity helps this process. This trick works quite well for me, as I have NO mold smell.
    This process might have to be modified, open air for longer duration perhaps, for higher humidity levels, in different parts of the country.
    But the theory works well for me.
    Simple! :D

3. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ozium sprayed into intake ducts by wiper cowl works great for me!

4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  5. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hehe, yeah man, that may work in LA (which I've been to before and enjoy very much), but in KC when the actual temperature is over 100 and the humidity is very high...10 or 15 mins w/out the AC isn't really an option. I tried it the other day, and it starts to get pretty uncomfortable after a minute or two.

We're pretty much just running the AC on intake now, though. I do try to turn on the vent for a minute or two at the end of trips...I figure that can dry things out a little.