1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mildew Smell

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DeanFL, Aug 13, 2010.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Over the last few days, noticed immediately after starting car with AC on - slight mildew smell from the vents. Seems to last a few seconds then clears. Oh Oh...
    During searches here I see threads on this issue for the Gen 2, none for 3 yet. And know it's not an uncommon problem in many cars.
    My Gen 3 is just over a year old with 10K miles. Live in Central Florida so the air has been on for plenty of those miles. Most times my HVAC is set Auto/75/AC on, and use no special procedures to vent the evaporator with non/cooled air prior to shutting off the car.

Questions.
    Anyone else -Gen 3- getting the mildew smell?
    If so did dealer resolve it?
    Is the fix covered by warranty (and in my case, my car just over one year).
    Would appreciate any input prior to contacting my dealer...

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It's a good practice to shut off the a/c a minute or two before shutting any car off to try and clear the vents of any 'cold' air left. My first car I ever owned since I was not the original owner had that musty smell and I know what you mean, it can be disgusting. But this can happen to any car, not just the Prius if the a/c is always left running very cold right till shutdown.

I also just found this online and I can attest to the Lysol thing working. Here it is, and keep in mind it is for a 'regular' vehicle so ignore the whole engine running thing, at least running constantly...

1) Park the vehicle outside with all of the windows open. 2) Run the engine with the a/c on and on the fresh air setting (setting where outside air comes into the vehicle). 3) Turn the temperature control all the way to hot. With the a/c on, it will force air through the a/c evaporator but with it being hot air, it will help to dry out the inside of the a/c evaporator. When you do this, you can also spray a small amount of Lysol into the air intake just in front of the windshield. That will also help to kill the mildew inside the evaporator case. Normally, you would need to run the engine and a/c for about 2 hours to reduce the smell.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm having the exact same problem in mine with 20k miles. Just started last month. I might try the Lysol trick, but I was going to take mine to the dealership anyway for a few squeaks and an oil change.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had a similar issue with a previous car. At the recommendation of a member of a BMW forum, I bought Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment. Easy to use, and I had the car for 2 years afterwards with no issues:
    Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment 6 oz.

5. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Danny,
    Do you have an update for your mildew smell car service months ago? Mine is just starting... Did the Lysol resolve or the dealer visit -if so what did they do?
    thanks~

6. Alexma

Alexma Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was always told to run the a/c with outside air once in a while to run fresh air through the "condenser".

This advice was given from the owner of an a/c shop.

By keeping the a/c on recirculating, the air gets "trapped" in the condenser which can cause mildew to grow.

I have also used the Lysol method on occasion which has worked.

Also, running hot air will help kill off the mildew. Problem is, you have to run it on high for a while.

I hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yep, thats what you need to kill those ugly things in your vent system :)

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mildew in the A/C evap and lines is a much more common problem than most people realize. Running the hot air with a/c on helps a little. You could also try blowing a hair dryer into the vents if you suspect the moisture is at the vent level.

9. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alexma identified the root cause of the mildew smell problem - excessive use of the a/c in RECIRCULATION mode. Recirculate is the default "Air Inlet Mode" for the Gen III with automatic climate control in order to increase MPG. The a/c has to run less in recirculate mode to keep the air cooled and dehumidified; however, the mildew smell is a result. The mildew smell is not only unpleasant; it is actually unhealthy.

If you want to prevent the mildew from occuring, you have to run the a/c in fresh air mode and use recirculate mode only occasionally. This is difficult to do when recirculate is the default mode because you have to constantly think to push the fresh air button when you turn on the a/c or restart the car.

Good news however, the default "Air Inlet Mode" can be change to "Manual" by the dealer which will cause the a/c to come on in the mode it was last set, i.e. fresh air. Attached are the pages from the service manual for customizing settings. Note that in addition to the air inlet mode, I also had the "Compressor Mode", "Foot/DEF Automatic Blow Up Function" and "Reverse Warning Buzzer" modes changed. The dealer charge for these changes was $54.00, but worth it in my opinion because everything now works the way I want and I no longer have any unhealthy mildew or smell.

Attached Files:

10. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My experience is different than what you stated in the red highlighted paragraph above.

I always keep my car in air inlet mode, unless I get behind a stinky diesel truck or smoke machine of a car, since I'm more concerned about fresh air supply than any minor MPG hit, and I never have to reset it. I always have A/C on, and the doc you attached is not inconsistent with my experience. It seems that the default setting is only applicable when the A/C is turned on (not when the car is powered up with the A/C having been on the least time it was powered off).

11. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suspect the reason your a/c stays in fresh air mode is because you always have your a/c on as you state above. My a/c is only on, mostly in the summer months and occasionally in winter, when I need it and I usually turn it off before I turn off the car. So having the "Air Inlet Mode" changed to manual probably isn't worth it for you, but it is for me and others who operate their a/c as I do. C'est La Vie.