1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage dropped from 46 to 39!!! How?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ewxlt66, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Driving patterns almost the same save for 1 extra 60 mile freeway trip.

Never above 70mph.

As much glide as possible.

But now 39mpg?

Any ideas as to what's going on?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ewxlt66 likes this.
  3. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about the weather?

5. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sunny SoCal. Been 70s in the day and a oh-so-harsh 50s at night.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no need to rub it in.:cool:

ewxlt66 likes this.
  7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Jim, I tried to check it using the DIY method but couldn't get into the mode where the car will tell you. Holding down Menu and lights on/off 3xs and nothing except normal info screen.

8. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I believe the sequence is:

- Press and hold the MFD Info button, then turn the headlights on and off three times to enter Maintenance mode; release Info

button

- Press “Menu” (on screen)

- Press “Display Check”

- Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded

battery)

- Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay

above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere)

- Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than

13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit)

- Turn car OFF to leave Maintenance mode

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-the-battery.73400/#ixzz2ENuBCSHk

9. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is what I did. Nothing comes up after I do the headlight sequence.

As of this AM the passenger seatbelt light is blinking too. Seems to be the battery I guess.

10. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got it to work this time.

Battery is showing 10.2v.

I guess it's time!

Any one has AAA install a battery?

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  12. curtis0916

curtis0916 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I did this check and got the following results, do these indicate an issue or just that I need to keep an eye on the battery as we enter winter here in Kansas? I have owned my 2006 Prius for a little over 2 years and am not sure when the current battery was installed. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Press “Vehicle Signal Check” - the battery voltage is shown and should be about 12.4 to 12.8 Volts (normal for an unloaded battery) (MY READING WAS INITIALLY 12.1)

- Again without brake pedal, press Power button and release to put a current load on the battery - the voltage should stay above 12.0V (if less than 12.0V the battery is not well, or there is a fault or unusual load somewhere) (MY READING WAS 11.8)

- Press brake pedal and press Power button once to enter "Ready" mode - the battery is now charging at about 14V (if less than 13.6V or more than 14.4 there may be a problem with the charging circuit) (MY READING WAS 14.1)

13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would not worry unless I had other symptoms, then I would mail order a Optima from elearnaid at the first real symptom. Think of the test as a way to know if your symptoms are battery related.

richard schumacher likes this.
  14. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Battery replaced. Passenger air bag light has stopped blinking. Let's see if the mpgs have returned.

15. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As a point of interest I've discovered this sequence also works just turning on the parking lights 3 times instead of the headlights. I like that much better. I hope your MPG 's improve also.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  16. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks Steve.

17. wek

wek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 prius w/ 105,000 miles on it. My summer gas mileage was around 48ish mpg. I do a lot of mountain roads. In Dec it dropped to 39mpg. After reading these threads last week I checked the start Batt (11.9 after sitting a few hrs) and 13.9 while on. My dealer replaced the batt last summer. I also replaced the spark plugs (this got me more power while driving and better gas mileage. Thanks for the tip!! Is there a sensor I can check for carbon build-up?

18. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    We would expect the mpg to drop some in the winter but that may be too much. It is not clear how you got your battery readings. You should report all 3 readings in the sequence outlined above. If you did it this way your 11.9V is low. The range between the 1st and 2nd number (that you didn't give) gives an indication of the health of the battery, as does the last number that indicates the charging amps.

A new battery is not necessarily a fully charged battery. After you report all 3 numbers you could try slow charging with 2 amps or less. You can do that at the jump point under the hood. Be very careful to connect it correctly the first time. You may not get a second chance if it is connected backwards even for a split second. The cost of repair can be 4 figures.

19. wek

wek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for responding Steve. After a cold night the 1st batt reading was 11.9 with a load on it was 11.5 and powered up was 13.9. I fear the 11.5 for the loaded batt is weak especially for a 6 month old dealer battery. I talked to my dealer guy and he said those readings have nothing to do with the battery life. He gave me some line about it has no alternator and there is something else thats is pulling power from it. I think they are trying to get out of replacing a bad battery they put in. What simple explaination can I tell them so they look at this battery seriously?

20. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, they do have to do with present battery health. The 11.9V is about 50% SOC and much lower than it should be considering the age of the battery if the car is charging, which it is as we see with the 13.9V reading. It's true it has no alternator but it does charge this battery and it is doing that. The range between the 11.9 and 11.5 readings doesn't seem to be an unusual drain. I'm not a battery expert but others here are very knowledgeable and with these readings should be able to give more info. I would probably try trickle charging it to see if it will hold a higher charge. It should not be reading 50% state of charge at 6 months old. What is the warranty period for the battery? I doubt this is the car's fault.