1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage improves with a waxing ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by AzWxGuy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I know, I know. This is going to sound preposterous. All I can say is it is observation-based and not very scientific. Not even remotely a controlled, Myth-Buster type of experiment. The numbers are interesting though, and tell the story. This all started over a year ago when I purchased a bottle of that Nu Finish car polish. After a couple hours of labor it sure put the shine back into my classic silver. Made it look like it was carved out of billet aluminum. Then, after about a week of driving my usual 140 mile round trip route to work and back, I notice a slight rise in MPG. Now, mind you, I don’t ever reset the MPG value on the MFD. The miles travelled resets to zero with each tank full of gas, but I leave the MPG value alone. So, what I end up with I believe is a long period average. That is, unless I disconnect the 12V for some reason, which I hadn’t. The MPG value, which is usually an average of 47.0, reads 47.2. I attributed it to maybe slightly warmer weather or maybe less wind for a week. Didn’t think much more about it. Now, just a week ago, I polished up the Prius again. And sure enough, after 5 days of driving my same route, the MPG is back up to 47.2 again. I can’t blame it on changes in the weather or anything else I can think of this time. It almost must have something to do with reduced drag from a good polishing. Or at least that is what I would like to postulate. Do you think this is a possibility?

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if it's measurable to the extent your mileage improved, but my guess is with the wax job, you'll have less aero drag since the paint finish is nice and smooth. A more likely possibility is that when you wax and clean your car, it creates a "new car" mind effect because it does look like new, and you end up driving as if it was a new car - all subconsciously of course. It doesn't last long because, well, because it's not really a new car and you go back to your regular driving style. I'm just theorizing, and quite possibly could be wrong.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Simply cleaning a car will technically reduce drag and therefore improve gas mileage.
    Waxing will probably do the same.
    I am not certain how much it improves it, but it will have some affect.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are the wx guy, after all.:cool:

AzWxGuy likes this.
  5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    part of any airlines maintenance program is washing its planes because there is a measurable improvement in efficiency. when in the air force. as an E 3 (near the bottom) i had the not so enviable task of washing the B-52's... not a fun job

6. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with you, waxing will help with mpg.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

love your screen name. I was born there

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The reason I use it is because I was in the Air Force, stationed at Kadena AFB, in 1957 and 1958.

9. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I too, noticed a slight gain after waxing my Prius this past summer. Inasmuch that it motivated me to wax the car every 3 weeks or so. I mean, why not... it takes a total of 1/2 hour with the Prius from start to finish.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ah!! was born there in 59 so just missed ya! my Dad was also stationed there if you hadnt guessed. it is a wonderful place. I was lucky enough to visit about 35 years ago. I hope to go back again here within the next 5 years or so

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Kadena was a modern base way back then. Now, I would not recognize anything on base or off base. Probably every building has been replaced since I was there. You can go on to You Tube and watch a video of there. I can recognize nothing. I guess Okinawa is a resort area now.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

even when I was there in the early 80's it was very much a tourist town

13. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They clean and wax sailplanes before a competition. They also tape all the seams. You should try that. Don't forget to leave the window open or you won't be able to get in.