1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Can'tWait, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Can'tWait

Can'tWait Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi friends - I got the 2010 back in June and got 4500 or so miles so far.

On average, I got about 48-50 mpg, which of course agrees with Toyota's estimates; I fill the tank, note the actual miles and keep track of mpg; I try to be consistent when filling the tank so there is no difference between fills. I am very conservative in driving style, a/c use, etc....so I was expecting more mpg than what I am getting..

I heard some folks get way more than 50 mpg; if so am just wondering what can I do to get that extra mpg...No oil change service so far but need to go one of these days

Thanks experts.

2. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm no expert, but without getting exotic like P&G, what works best for me is energy conservation. It's simple Physics, there aren't any magic speeds. Accelerate so as not to use the power portion of the HSI and glide as much as possible. Brakes are the enemy, speed is the enemy. Above 25 mph or so, the faster you go, the lower your fuel mileage is.
    I find that I can drive what I consider normally and not be a problem in traffic and still get low to mid 60's, but the only vehicles I pass are farm and construction vehicles, otherwise I'm pretty much the slowest car on the road. You just have to decide if the extra 10 to 15 MPG is worth it.
    I do tend to be more relaxed, worry less about that idiot that is in my way and arrive at pretty much the same time now than I did when I drove like everybody else.
    Really the amazing thing is how especially in city traffic how my travel times have changed not at all, I just don't spend anytime sitting at red lights like I used to.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Give us some information about your usage. A Prius driven on short trips will get poor mileage. One driven in stop and go will get poor mileage. Cold weather will kill your mileage.

There are a lot of variables. We need more information to even guess.

Tom