1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage Sporadically Resetting on MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DenToyPri05, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DenToyPri05

DenToyPri05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure where this should be posted, but my MFD showed a mileage reset to 0 today. I only reset at fill-ups so that I can do long division.

Anyway, while trying to figure this out, I saw on the Consumption screen that the AMPG also started bouncing around. Before I shut off the engine, it bounced between 39 and 42.

Since the last fill up, the pips have been decreasing quickly...4 in 71 miles. I know the pips are not a linear measure, but 4 in 71 miles seems pretty quick.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Maybe I accidentally tapped it with a knuckle, but I don't think so...

#1 DenToyPri05, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Check the charging voltage on your 12 V battery. That section of the inverter could be bad.
    Possible that your new battery is bad too but not likely. Did you fully charge it when it was installed ?

Absent any other "evidence", I'd tend to blame the driver. :)

3. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to take the blame if it means that I can close this loop! I traveled less than 2 miles on the way to work when the miles jumped from 0 to 3 in less than 5 minutes...very curious behavior.

I've been reading up on gas tank bladder behavior during summer and winter months, about certain model GenIIs automatically resetting (though this confuses me...need to find out exactly what is known to auto-reset), and about just starting over (fill up, zero out trip, mileage, whatever) and monitor diligently. I always zero out on the Consumption screen; it hasn't auto zero-ed out that I've experienced.

According to my calculations, I've probably used about half a tank; so, in another 3 weeks (oy...i don't want to wait that long), I should be able to fill 'er up and start the sleuthing. I'll even turn the nozzle a quarter to the left or right as someone suggested to fill up as much as possible...and that's after letting the bladder breathe for a minute or so, as another person suggested.

Could my foam grill blockers be the culprit?

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. Grill blockers are evil.
    :)
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    No, I personally don't see any way they could be a cause.

5. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL. They do appear diabolical on the grill, like duct tape over a mouth...

6. DenToyPri05

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two