1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage Test With Under Body Covers Removed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tumbleweed, Mar 15, 2010.

1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Conducted a mileage test today with the 4 under body covers removed, engine cover still in place.

I ran a baseline test with the covers on, removed the 4 under body covers, and reran the test under the same conditions. The engine cover remained in place.

I was careful to check tire pressures 48 psi, ambient temperature 58 degrees, wind none, windows all up, climate control off, same tank of gas. Used the same stretch of freeway 8 miles West, then 8 miles East, then repeat. 32 miles total with covers on, then another 32 miles with them off. Used cruise control for entire test both ways each time, speed 70 MPH. Terrain is a bit hilly so mileage isn't to good but my results were consistent.

Results 45.8 MPG covers on; 45.7 covers off. Essentially no difference, I was actually surprised the numbers came out as close as they did.

I had the covers off looking for rattles and decided it would be interesting to test the mileage. I think they must improve the CD number a little or we wouldn't have them, but in the real world they don't seem to improve the mileage.

I am going to put some sound isolation under them and reinstall them. They might actually provide some protection for cables, brake and gas lines, etc.

bentbow, TsKarma, ken1784 and 3 others like this.
  2. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tumbleweed, Thanks for the information. Installing a sound deadening material under the car is a great idea. I know road noise is a little high in the 2010 and that may help. I may do that myself. ;)

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What are you going to use T?

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't found a product yet, I was hoping for some suggestions. They will get wet when it rains and will need to be kind of tough because the covers had quite a few rocks in them when I removed them. I'm going to check out the local hardware store and the modifications threads on here first.

5. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know local customization shops sell a "sound insulation spray on" stuff but it's expensive. I'm subscribing to this thread, so I can see what you use, and how well it works!!
    -Brad

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks Brad, I'll try to find some of the spray it might be what I need. I was going to try some foam rubber stuff that they sell for upholster work but I'm afraid it would suck up water like a sponge, which is what it is.

7. Wots

Wots Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about "Great Stuff Insulating Foam Sealant". You can find in just about any hardware store. I would suggest the minimal expansion type. I'm not sure how much clearance you have.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is 2 or 3 inches between the covers and the car when they are installed. They have plastic spacers, except the front and back couple of inches of each cover which touch the car. I may end up using some kind of fiber glass blanket or something such as that. I looked all through Home Depot and Lowe's today, didn't find anything I liked.

I am a little reluctant to use the spray Brad mentioned or the foam insulation because I think once it drys it doesn't come off very well. If I make a mistake and put it in the wrong place it would be hard to recover. I might try a little bit as a test though, I think I have a can of foam insulation out in my shop.

9. 924danimal

924danimal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some hot rod folks are using spray on truck bed liner as undercoat and sound deadener.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tumbleweed .... most interesting. I will bookmark this thread and follow the replies.

I wish I had a brand name for you, but I recently visited a high end home under construction, and the contractor was installing a sound deadning material on select walls (bedrooms, play rooms, bathrooms) behind the gypsum board. It was about 1/4 inch thick, flexible,and black in color. The contractor implied it was a new material, and was very effective.

12. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Has anyone tried a similar test in a Gen III with the wheel-covers on and off?

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That could be OK, sounds like a trip to the lumber yard might be in order.

14. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try a product called Dynamat. I have used it inside a 55 jaguar under carpets. I have seen people use it under the car. It is a foil product backed with some sort of a thick , black adhesive. It should be weatherproof.

I don't have a Prius (yet)...but am selling/trading a 2007 4 runner . I was just researching the subject of underbody covers and seeing if there was any protection if my wife visits horse farms and unpaved roads.

15. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am lucky to have a Prius with no road noise. Extreemly quiet at high speeds.

16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The thing is that it is likely that there aren't many changes that make a huge difference. Most will be small things like this. Car engineers talk about 'counts' which are (I think) 1/100 of a point of CD. A thousand small changes add up to a large change.

17. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had, until the engine expired, driven for 5 weeks with no wheel covers on. 60.8 mpg. But I don’t go on the highway, max speed about 40 mph.