1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage to empty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by car304, Apr 14, 2007.

1. car304

car304 New Member

On my info screen it tells me how many miles I have driven since my last fillup. I have checked the manual but I have been unable to find out how to change it to tell me how many miles to empty. I was hoping someone could help.

Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately the Prius doesn't display that particular info.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Howdy car304

If you are really interested in "Miles to Empty," you might want to check on the ScanGaugeII - for sale in the PriusChat "Store" here. It does have such a setting.

One Caveat: Due in part to the fuel bladder peculiarities, a real accurate reading on how much fuel remains in the fuel tank is questionable if not impossible. I don't yet have a ScanGaugeII {considering one} but others have commented that they reduced the setting of fuel capacity to allow 'fudge room' on the "Miles to Empty" calculation made by the ScanGaugeII. I would definitely NOT push the issue by driving to the last mile or two of the reading. I always add fuel at the last 'non-blinking' pip on the appropriately nicknamed "GUESS GAUGE."

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(car304 @ Apr 14 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]423248[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome. The answer is: Can't change it and nobody knows how many miles to empty. Some people had absolute faith in the mathematical calculations and found themselves walking to the gas station or waiting for someone with a can. Although I advocate some experimentation to discover the limits of the car here is some practical advice. You don't have to buy gas until the last pip flashes. How far can you go on that flashing pip? In theory, probably 50 miles. Some have gone farther, some less. To quote Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?"

I buy Shell gas. There are 3 stations on my way home. I keep track of their prices in the morning so I know which one I want to stop at on my way home when I need gas or I see prices rising. Since prices have been jumping I haven't bought a full tank in months.

5. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 14 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]423420[/snapback]</div>
    This is also probably risky behavior. With the way prices have been going, how can you be certain that the station which is cheapest in the a.m. is still the cheapest in the evening? Do they all change their prices at the same time?

Dave M.

6. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(car304 @ Apr 14 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]423248[/snapback]</div>

I just fill up every 400 miles, feels great because it's so much farthur than in my last car....
    And even with the rising prices I can still get by for less that $30.00. I expecially like to stop at a pump next to a big SUV and stare at thier pump as the $$$$ goes well over $50.00.....

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 15 2007, 05:42 PM) [snapback]423741[/snapback]</div>
    In NJ a station (not on the toll roads) can change prices once per day. They either change at closing or when they open. On the toll roads they can change once per week. It's either Friday or Saturday, I don't remember which.

8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many stations raise the price around 10 AM.