1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage tracking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by anonjedi, Mar 29, 2006.

1. anonjedi

anonjedi New Member

Greetings all,

So I finally filled my tank for the first time. Then I reset my Trip A and then also hit Reset on the Consumption screen.

About 20 miles later I noticed that they were slightly off track. Trip A read "20.1" but the screen read "19"

It isn't a major difference, but it was a bit surprising given how mileage is so urgently emphasized.

Anyone else notice slight discrepancies between them?

I know the reading on the Consumption screen doesn't show tenths, so it might just be bad rounding,

When you track your mileage, which reading are you using?

Thanks!

2. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anonjedi @ Mar 29 2006, 04:24 PM) [snapback]231959[/snapback]</div>

Don't hit reset on your consumption screen. When you fill up, the car will notice and reset for your. The trip is a different story. Did you also reset the B odo?

Mine tick over almost perfectly in sync. I also write down both "A" and "C" (consumption screen) when I write in my little book, but they are never different. Also, I base all calculation off of total odo, instead of trip, so there are fewer rounding errors over time.

Check the link in my sig for my gas tracking webpage.

3. anonjedi

anonjedi New Member

Thanks for the info and the advice.

I loved your web page. Sweet charts.

Do you use Excel to collect your data? I wold love to see your design and maybe learn a few things for my own tracking file.

4. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I do use excel. Excel is pretty smart about saving as an HTML file type and still being editable (I have Office 2003). I have the file saved directly on my server, and I open it over the network, edit and save. I always get a receipt, and write the odo, MFD MPG, and current air temp on it. The recipt has all other needed info.

I think if you save the HTML file directly to your computer (with the other files, Save as "Webpage, complete"), you will be able to edit it directly. Just replace my data with yours. The charts are a little cumbersome, but they work ok.

There are alot of examples available in the fuel economy forum, and there are websites that will compare your car with others. (greenhybrid comes to mind.) I would do one of those, but I don't want to re-enter all the data.

Oh, there is a difference between the "Data" tab and "Shifted Data". For a while, the "Shifted Data" tab matched better with my MFD MPG, so I think that way is more accurate. Basically I count the last tank's gas for miles traveled, instead of what I just put in. I want to find some combination of this fillup and the last fillup for determining MPG, but my fills are always different amounts, so it's hard to work out. You'll get the best data if you always use the same pump and always fill to the first click and stop. Your data should be perfect then.

Good luck!