1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage variability on similar trips.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ranmandx, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

I took a 130km trip each way to toronto yesterday to go to a party and was quite surprised about the mileage difference on each trip. The way there i was shocked and extremely impressed with the fuel economy of the car and the road is pretty flat with some gradients but they even out all the time. On my way back i was seriously unimpressed with the mileage. On the way up my mileage kept climbing up higher and higher and my average was rising to almost become my best tank soo far. THEN on the way back i couldn't even break 50mpg on the highway even on some of the downhill segments it wouldn't rise significantly like it did the way up.

Does anyone else experience this varried range of mileages along the same trips? It seems like there are many more factors to play in this fuel economy game. There were also 4 people in the car.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My first guess would be a difference in winds. The difference between a 5 MPH head wind and tail wind is 8 MPG at 55 MPH, according to the Prius MPG Simulator. At 10 MPH it would be 16 MPG.

EDIT: That's 10 MPH wind differential, not 10 MPH cruising speed. :mellow:

3. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ranmandx @ Sep 3 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]506367[/snapback]</div>
    Hi ranmandx,

How are you enjoying your new car? There is a logical explanation for the higher MPG driving to Toronto. As you know Torontonians like to think Toronto is the centre of the Universe (well at least Canada - LOL) ... so of course going there you get great MPG. Your MPG leaving TO is going to be much worse as why would anyone want to leave such great city?! LOL B)

All kidding aside I live at the west end of TO and drive along the QEW to work to the border of Mississauga and Oakville. I just did a test and my MPG for this 14 mile trip is:

to work 57.4 MPG
    return: 62.6 these were the same day w/ outsdie temp=70F

next day going home I got over 75 MPG with 82F temp.

I bellieve this is largely due to a slight downhill grade on this segment of your drive to TO (not sure about the rest of your trip).

Gabe