1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage vs year tradeoffs?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by DebraBoston, May 3, 2011.

1. DebraBoston

DebraBoston New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking for recommendations -- I may have a choice between buying a 2008 with 87K and a 2005 with 60K miles for comparable prices. (The 2008 has some dealer incentives).

Either one is likely to be serviced by the dealer.

Any advice? I've been driving an ancient (1991!) Beemer which finally gave up the ghost.

Feel free to send me pointers to other postings that addressed this kind of problem.

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where were they driven? Salt eats cars, and would be a reason to go with high-mileage low age.

3. DebraBoston

DebraBoston New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Both in New England, but I think one was Connecticut and one Massachusetts. I can check whether either were garaged, that's a good help.

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I can get an 08 for the same price as an 05, I'd take the 08. The general consensus on PC is that high mileage is not an issue. At least, no more so than any otheer car.

As with any car purchase, initiate due diligence; i.e. CarFax, title search, inspection, test drive, etc.

Welcome to PriusChat :welcome: and best wishes for a successful outcome!

1 person likes this.
  5. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you were talking about a difference of 50 to 75 thousand miles it would make me lean toward the older car. I don't think 27,000 is enough difference to compensate for 3 years in age. This is of course assuming both cars are in similar condition.

1 person likes this.
  6. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go for the 08. Reason one is it is still worth more money in long run. another reason is being an 05 owner myself if I was to complain about one thing on my Prius it would be cheap interior pieces that have like a paint on them that peels. where the 08 has textured plastic. Long term aesthetics of 08 will do better than 05. Plus batteries have 3 less years of use on them not worried about miles just age.