1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. DickNH2

DickNH2 New Member

Folks: we have a 2005 Prius. When we first got it in April, 2005, we were averaging in the mid to high 50's mpg. Since about August, that mileage has been steadily dropping. Our last tankful was 40.5. My 1996 Tercel, with 156,000 miles, gets almost that same mileage. I'm wondering what to do about this. We support hybrid technology, but I'm not willing to pay that kind of Prius price tag when I replace my Tercel, if the gas mileage isn't significantly better than what we're seeing now. Thanks.

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Dick and welcome to Priuschat :)

Your question is a good one and has been discussed on several threads at great length.

This thread should address your concerns pretty well.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11811&hl=

The search feature will help you locate other ones.

Briefly, winter takes a toll on the mpg of all internal combustion engines-- including your Tercel.
    You don't say where you are from, but I assume New Hampshire from your screen name? If so, the combined effects of winter are probably the basic reason you are losing mpg.

There are some very bright and helpful people on here who are generous with their knowledge.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, what I said "There are some very bright and helpful people on here who are generous with their knowledge."

Thanks John

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    One reason we notice more in this car than others (yes, this has happened on all the cars I've owned) is that we're more obsessed with the mileage in this car and watch it like a hawk.

7. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check you tire pressure and oil level before you do anything else.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Tercel gets 40 MPG both in August and in January?

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The prius will be sensitive to (or more obvious to) fuel robbing conditions than other cars, as other cars usually have those robbing conditions all the time. Example: traffic signals with no heat demand. Prius: no usage. Other cars, idle usage.
    Traffic signals with heat demand: Prius: idle usage if necessary. Other cars: idle usage as before.

10. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you track your mileage on your Tercel and you actually do historically get 40 mpg all year I will not doubt you on that one. Please post a spreadsheet or other long term data covering many winters if you feel so inclined.

However EPA mileage numbers are not practically achievable by a significant number of buyers nationwide. Geography, climate conditions, commute times and distances all effect mileage. During the winter, we all take a hit. I know I have. But I expect it to return in the summer.

However the Prius is much more vehicle than a Tercel. I didn't buy it just because it was a hybrid, I bought it because it was a well equipped package for a very competitive price. People have read this one before so it is like listening to a broken record. How many cars out there have digital dash, historical trip computer, touch screen control and auto climate starting at $21k. None. That is why this is such a good deal for the price you paid. Luxury car features without the luxury car price and excellent FE to boot.

Lower FE is part and parcel for winter driving. Just think the Prius is still doing better than any other car out there and you have a really nice car, too.