1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hammertmed, Jan 21, 2007.

1. hammertmed

hammertmed New Member

I just bought my 2007 prius and I only get 40mpgaverage. I drive carefully to try to get max mileage. I use the cruise control to keep it steady. Is this the best way to get maximum fuel mileage. I've heard of a device that I could install that would only use batteries until 34 mph. I'm worried about the warranty. What do you think?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. HSD

HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hammertmed @ Jan 21 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]378670[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that aftersale kits is a good choice. If you want max mpg, then you should try "pulse and glide". Some people achieved 110 mpg.Well, you can gain a lot, even if you don' t apply all the time.

Driving on battery alone kills mpg for sure. You have to keep an engine warm. Also, high level of battery juice is important for higher ICE mpg (more electric power, less demand for ICE power).

Check this out:
    http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/a/pulseandglide.htm

PS Give it credit for some time. Prius gets better mpg after some miles, and enjoy your trully amazing car!

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hammertmed @ Jan 21 2007, 09:04 AM) [snapback]378670[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are really going to love your new Prius this spring when the weather gets warmer. MPG's in the 40's is typical with the temperatures you have been experiencing recently. The EV Mod does not really improve mileage.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll take time to get used to driving the car for max efficiency but once you learn all the tricks for your normal route the milage should go up. In Northern Cali I am averaging 44mpg in 28-58deg temps this month. I have heavier, stickier tires and a subwoofer box with two 12's in it so I could probably do better. :(

In case you have not done this yet, do some calculations for 40mpg over 1000miles and another for 44mpg over 1000 miles. Its not as big a difference as it seems. Its much less than 10mpg vs 14mpg. :)