1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vemvim, Jan 6, 2008.

1. vemvim

vemvim Junior Member

I would like to know if anyone has noticed a drop in mileage. I used to get between 50 and 55 miles in the summer months and between 45 and 50 in the colder months. This winter (I live in northeast Ohio) the mileage has dropped to between 40 and 44 mpg. Incidentally, I always get better mileage on the highway contrary to what Toyota claims. Also I wonder if anyone can tell me how you can tell the starting battery is getting weak, since there is no sound when the car starts.

Vemvim

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    check your tire presure!

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Tire pressure increase, engine block heater, and grill block will help. But my question is, is there anybody who does NOT see a mileage decrease in winter? (not including anyone living in a tropical zone, that is)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Changes in fuel blends also have an effect.

Tom

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Consider the correlation between temperature and mileage.

Click the "Current Mileage" link in my signature.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, because the original poster didn't notice as great a mileage drop in previous years, I suspect this greater mileage drop is due to the addition of ethyl alcohol to the fuel, which your govt. has mandated to start this winter. I calculate the drop should be 2-3 MPG with 10% ethyl alcohol added, and that's close to what is reported above.

That's the downside of "ethanol fuel". The upside is the engine internals will be cleaner, as it burns much cleaner. I doubt it will have a huge effect on your economy, as you already spend way more than the difference on the wars you fight for oil. Too bad my current govt. has a "me too" attitude!

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not Toyota that claims that, it's the US Government. Car manufactures in the U.S.A. are required to report EPA estimates and only EPA estimates.

Tom