1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vemvim, May 6, 2008.

1. vemvim

vemvim Junior Member

Hi
    I have a 2005 Prius and have very much enjoyed it. This past winter I was rather disappointed with the mileage my car was getting, about 42 to 45 miles to the gallon. Last week, I drove to St Louis, and driving at 60 miles per hour, I consistently got between 58 and 60 miles to the gallon and for some stretches where I drove at about 55 miles(stuck behind a truck, which,incidentally WAS going at 55 mph) I got about 63 mpg. I thought I would share this information with the readers. It is also interesting that my mileage is always better on the highway.
    Vembar

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you plan ahead, avoid braking and especially avoid hard braking you will see your consumption improve in town to better than your highway numbers. This means try to coast to a stop if you have to, in stop start traffic leave a bigger gap to keep moving etc.

I never travel very far at 60mph but at 70 or actually 115km/h I use 5.5L/100km but in town I use 4.2L/100km

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Overall, you seem to have good news. Your post brings more questions to mind though:
    1. Is this the first winter you noticed a drop in MPGs? I've had only one winter, but it was quickly apparent the cold weather (No. Illinois) sapped the MPGs.
    2. When you say you get better mileage on the highways, what is your regular or average speed? I find that the best MPH for MPG is around 45, but on the highway that is a tough go. At 55-60, I will consistently see MPGs in the upper 50s, if not lower 60s. In my experience, when I get above 65 the MPGs drop.
    3. In the same vein -- When you are not driving on the highway, where and how are you driving? If you are taking short trips around town, you really can't expect high gas mileage. When the temp is above 70, then I can maintain 50+ MPG, even on trips under 10 minutes, but it can be a challenge!
    4. Have you regularly recorded your mileage? Can you track times of higher and lower MPGs?

4. priusuk2008

priusuk2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check out the Fuel Economy Section in a thread MPH vs MPG Curve - good graphs in there illustrate it quite well

5. vemvim

vemvim Junior Member

Thanks for your response.This is the first winter that I have noticed such a drop in mileage; I got about 45 or somewhat higher mileage the first two winters. When I drive on the highway, I set my cruise control at 55 to 65 but never over 65. In town I get about 50 miles to the gallon, traveling between 35 and 45 mph.
    Vembar

6. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmm. maybe better days are ahead for me. at 3300 miles I get maybe 45-50 but not any more ever. Most of my driving (75%) is at65 or a bit more on the Interstate.

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe your town driving distance is shorter than your highway driving and a lot of stop and go situations.

Ken@Japan