1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miles left in tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Au-Toe, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Au-Toe

Au-Toe Matrixowner

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How accurate is the calculation from the car's "computer" for the cruising range left?

In my experience from my previous vehicle. When my gas light would come on, I believe it generally meant that I had 2 gallons left in the tank before stranded.

iPhone ?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think it's 2 gallons but I think there's a bit of leeway once you get to 0 miles.

Personally I wouldn't even try as you'll just be sucking up any crud at the bottom of your tank. Also, as your petrol is less than half the price I pay you have no excuse for not filling up! ;)

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's only an estimate based on your current mpg's and will adjust up or down depending on your driving style. I've noted in mine that if I get over 45 mpg on one tank, at fill-up my next tank will edge closer to 500 miles to empty, maybe a few miles over 500. By the time I'm ready to fill up again, actual ends up being between 465 and 480 before it's at zero again. If you're looking for accuracy, it's tough for your car to look into a crystal ball to predict how you will drive in the future.