1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miles on prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tammyvoje, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Tammyvoje

Tammyvoje Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking at a 2005 prius with high miles, the owner told me because its a hybrid the miles are split. Never heard if this. True?

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. It's not true. Many people get the idea that the Gen 2 Prius can run on electric only propulsion for a large percentage of the time. Completely false. The gasoline engine is running 99% of the time when the car is in motion at greater than 20 mph. There are times when the gas engine shuts off and the car moves on electric power. But it can only do so for about one mile or so before the gas engine starts up again.

Sure, the engine shuts off when at a stop but only after the engine has reached its operating temperature. Depending on where and when you drive, the engine is off no more than 10% of the time (a higher percentage in stop and go traffic).

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many stories here of high mileage Prii that burn ~1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. So the little engine gets a work out. Ask the owner how much oil it uses.

However, I would say 99% engine time is too high for many users. In my very hilly terrain, there are plenty of sections where the engine is on ~50% of the time. Gas to go up the hills, regen going down, and electric mode in the dip and starting back up.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't know where the OP lives, do we?

And it's not true that the engine isn't "running" downhill in a Gen 2. It's not firing but it is motoring downhill which does result in wear to the engine parts albeit less than when firing. Above 42 mph, the ICE must turn.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, those same hilly miles mentioned are less than 42 mph here. I realize that is slow going compared to many places. To the OP, the idea is that the locale which the car has been in makes a lot of difference on what gets the most wear and tear.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a pri with high miles is a pri with high miles. while these cars are (mostly) rock solid, be aware the there can be expensive repairs at any time.

PriusGuy32 and dorunron like this.