1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miles per gallon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by deman1134, Jan 2, 2007.

1. deman1134

deman1134 New Member

Hello, and happy new years everyone. Ive had my 06 pkg 5 Seaside Blue prius since February and of course i love it. i took and trip to the Keewanaw Peninsula of upper michigan (along lake Superior) from Chicago this summer and over the 1200+ miles i put on i got 57+ mpg, and that was going much over the limit and all of it was rural highway driving. If i would drive responsibly i got 60mpg. I was surprised and happy since its rated 51 mpg highway and 60 city, i get backwards usually. in the city i make generally short trips id say and get 50 mpg, now in the winter im gettin 44 city, so down to the point, i am wondering if anyone has some tips they could share, or suggestions on how to improve my city mpg. i really want to improve it so if anyone could help that would b great.

Thanks in advance.

-kevin

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would say for short trips in the winter in Chicago, 44 is very respectable, and the drop from 50 not unreasonable. 44 is probably close to what I got last winter (my first with the Prius) in central VA. Not to say it can't be improved ... hang around PriusChat for awhile, and browse the Fuel Economy forum, and you'll learn from some of the best. Here is a good starting point:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?autocom=art...rticle&id=3

Here's another site that focuses on maximimum fuel effeciency in any type of vehicle:

www.cleanmpg.com

Though the site is not hybrid-specific, you'll find good articles and discussions there specific to the Prius.

Good luck!

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Try stuffing some pipe insulation in the upper grill to keep the engine warm. There's a thread with photos from efusco's mod. Lowe's sells a 6 foot length for $1.18. For the upper grill I measured the gaps between the vertical supports. Cut that much off the end then cut the small piece in half lengthwise. Take the small piece, fold it in half and stuff it in. Don't push too hard or it will fall through the back. I used about 3 feet of insulation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deman1134 @ Jan 2 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]369462[/snapback]</div>

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From another Chicago driver currently at 57.5 MPG;

Inflate your tires as high as you can and still be comfortable, currently I am at 55/53.

Do block your entire grill with the pipe insulation.

Get and use an engine block heater, a big help for the first 5 minute warm-up. If you do get one I would be happy to install it for free (done 12 so far).

Keep your heater as cool as you can stand it, set the temp to 68 instead of 80 for instance.

Learn to glide, glide, glide.

Wayne

5. deman1134

deman1134 New Member

THanks for the responses, if i block the grill wont it b bad for the engine since it gets less air circulatio that way, also wayne, 55/53 is high, are u using the stock tires? there only rated for 44 psi max.

6. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Blocking the grill will have not harm your engine, there is plenty of space in front of your radiator in case your engine gets hot. Highest temp I've seen was 205 degrees momentarily this past weekend while doing some pulse and glide, outside temp was 60. Your radiator fans kick on at about 212.

I am using a different tire for winter driving, however it's max sidewall pressure is 44 psi also. There are threads here and at cleanmpg.com about inflating past sidewall max. Use 44/42 if your worried, bottom line the higher the pressure the better your overall MPG, better tire wear, and better hydroplaning resistance.

Wayne