1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

military hummer hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hnational, Apr 21, 2005.

1. hnational

hnational Junior Member

I ran accross this art. in wired
    http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,...4,67271,00.html
    the idea of getting 50 mph with such a heavy vehicle is amazing. I wish I could have the same electric motor installed on the hebrew national (salsa red). I'm assuming one of the two electric motors in the truck is more powerful than the prius's motor. if this is the case, i don't think there would even be an EV mode question afterwards!

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I guess it's OK to THINK about efficiency in a fighting vehicle, but if I was in a position to use one, I'd prefer that it use long-proven technology in case it would be fatal if something new malfunctioned. Well-armed terrorists with anti-tank weapons approaching rapidly, and my ICE not running due to some odd computer glitch, might not end nicely for me.

Sure, eventually the hybrid stuff would be proven and reliable and ready to trickle back down into civilian vehicles, but I'd be worried. I can't always count on my Prius starting...

3. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think the Prius's MG2 is much more powerful than the 10HP motor quoted in the CNN article.

Considering this diesel hybrid's top speed is 40mph on a 18HP 3-cylinder diesel and 2 10 HP electric motors (and probably smaller battery capacity in this prototype), it sounds more like a $20K golf-cart than a full featured and more powerful vehicle like the Prius.

If you drove the Prius at 40mph top speed, you would get > 60mpg too!

In the Wired article, uh..., any car today can provide electric power once you drop in a DC converter. That ability isn't anything new nor special.

5. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"83130)</div>
    To clear up some misconceptions....
    1) Have you seen modern fighting vehicles? They are already filled with computers.
    2) Have you considered "stealth" as a factor in battle? Think about it...
    3) And how about the lack of diesel clouds above your vehicle. Those clouds can tell the enemy where you are.
    4) How about the idea of having a second power source? Run out of gas and you still might be able to get out of range.
    5) Are you aware of support services? Do your realize how many gas tanker trucks -- that must be made bullet proof -- would be needed for the front lines if the MPG for all the tanks and trucks could double or triple their MPG? Decreasing these support requirements improves your ability to stretch supply lines. A distinct advantage in any battle.

In other words, this hybrid technology is not just an MPG issue. It is very much an issue of improving our fighting readyness and prowess.

6. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think some are misunderstanding the role for this vehicle.
    It is not for combat, it is for getting around the base and traveling in freindly areas. Currently, they use the huge hummers for this purpose and they know it is wasteful. By using this new veicle for this purpose, they save money on gas when armor and weapons are not needed.

Also, note that the gas hog Hummer was developed for the military, and then the rights were unfortunately sold to GM to allow a civilian version. This could well happen here too, which could be a good thing. A small deise hybrid 4WD with great mileage would be a good thing.

7. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

This sounds more like a replacement for the little Jeep that Radar drove Col. Potter around in all the time than an all-terrain Humvee. It's just replacing some of the Humvee's tasks, those where it's overkill.

I wonder how swappable the different bodies really are? Would they be field-replaceable, so a unit could ship out with 20 chassis and 45 bodies that they could switch as needed?

8. prius04

prius04 New Member

Actually, the small Jeep that Rader drove was replaced by the Hummer over a decade ago. The Jeep is now long gone. That Jeep was all terrain, but the narrowness of the wheelbase made it tip over too easily. Thus the super wide wheelbase of the Hummer.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mike:

A good point. However, the article states the Army hybrid would be for "non tactical roles."

Motor choice appears to influence fuel economy too. If a 3 cylinder diesel can achieve 50 MPG from a general purpose Army utility vehicle, imagine what it could deliver in the Prius.

Jay