1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Military Times calls for Rumsfeld resignation

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Nov 3, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

"According to MSNBC, an editorial to be published on Monday in the Military Times is said to call for the resignation of Donald Rumsfeld. The voice of military community saying Rumsfeld must go is huge, and may swing Conservative votes."

More

oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 3 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]343604[/snapback]</div>
    What good will it do? The damage is done, unfortunately. Who would want to come in and clean up his mess, anyway?

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 3 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]343611[/snapback]</div>
    Damage is done, but does it have to keep getting worse? Not sure who would want to clean up the mess though.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Bush cannot function without Rummy and dead eye Dick. They will stay until the end. We only have two more long years!!! B)

5. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

You could have ended that sentence after the first 3 words.

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Schmika calls for the cessation of printing of the Military Times. So what! You can find anyone saying something at any time. Why do we care?

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 3 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]343604[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, you do know that the "Military Times Media Group" is part of Gannett right?

Most military folks know that and know where that 'voice' is coming from. The only folks who think opinion pieces in there have any relation to what military people think, are the people who just see the name of the publication and assume.

8. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I heard that Rumsfeld will resign ... when Bush is finally elected out of office.

Right now it's like playing poker with a bad hand - you keep bluffing and finally loose it all because you're afraid to admit you were wrong to keep going.

9. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 4 2006, 04:57 PM) [snapback]343936[/snapback]</div>
    Let's just burn all the books (except Schmika's bible.) Ideas are just too dangerous for the common folk to be trusted with. Become lifetime members of the Closed Mind Club.

BTW, weren't you glad to see that Bush also said that Cheney, as well as Rumsfeld, would stay on for the next two years also?

Like, what could he do about it if he didn't like Dead-Eye? Cheney is as elected an official as Bush is! He can't be removed short of impeachment. I'm not sure Bush is too clear on a lot of constitutional trivia.

What do we care?

10. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 3 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]343613[/snapback]</div>
    *I* would want to clean up the mess, but I'm not qualified. Can anyone suggest someone who IS qualified? Colin Powell?

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Nov 5 2006, 02:32 PM) [snapback]344174[/snapback]</div>
    Good suggestion but since nepotism is one of the requirements for Presidential appointees, I think Powell no longer qualifies. Who's left? Harriet Miers?

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Nov 5 2006, 03:32 AM) [snapback]344029[/snapback]</div>
    Where did THAT come from?????? My point, dear sir, is WHO is the "military times" and WHY should we listen to them!!!

13. prez1

prez1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Nov 6 2006, 10:44 PM) [snapback]344813[/snapback]</div>
    The "Military Times", along with the "Army Times", and the "Air Force Times" are all published by Gannett, owner of USA Today. I'm not sure how much the military has to do with it at all.

14. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  15. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Nov 4 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]343937[/snapback]</div>
    That's interesting. I wonder who all the subscribers are who are keeping them in business then?

16. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 8 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]346070[/snapback]</div>
    Before Gannett bought them, the Military Times (Group) was an independent entity. It did cater to a Military Audience and was the best source for Promotion Lists, Rules Changes and such. It was the only place to get that kind of information. They got a significant portion of their income through subscriptions.

But, since the advent of the web, where all of the info that used to be disseminated via print is now available online and for free, their primary draw dwindled. They found their subscription base shrinking, and they wound up being acquired by Gannett who moved to a more advertising based revenue scheme.

Gannett also started 'content sharing' with the rest of their empire, so the articles wound up being written more and more by USA Today staffers and the like, instead of military oriented correspondents.

This, in turn, led to even more defections from the subscription base, which led to more cost cutting and a viscious circle where the military audience basically gave up on it as a military related publication. Now I see them sitting around in the free-paper bins along with all the other similar tabloids. I do know some folks, however, who have found uses for them. If you're getting transferred, a pile of them from the corner PX makes great packing material :)

17. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Nov 4 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]343604[/snapback]</div>

Well, wish granted. Rummy's gone. Now, if Bush is forced to resign ala Nixon rather than face impeachment, and if Cheney's ticker misses one more time....THEN we have our first female president. It's about time.
    Bush certainly ends the myth of white supremacy, eh? (to quote from Charles Wrangel)

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Timing is everything.

If Bush resigns, Cheney becomes President and appoints a new VP. It won't be Pelosi.

If Cheney kicks off Bush appoints a new VP and it won't be Pelosi.

They'd both have to go at the same time.

I'm not saying it's impossible.

If ever God wanted to show Pat Robertson he exists and is paying attention....this would be it.

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

OOOh, a double impeachment...How fun! I'll get the popcorn, and just in time for my plasma tv, where I can see the beads of sweat on their pale, forlorn and confused faces.

Now I wonder, which would piss off the repubs more, president Pelosi, or president H Clinton? A double feature featuring a double feature!!! I'm getting all wet just at the thought.