1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Millennium silver body molding on classic silver car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fintonissimo, Sep 17, 2009.

1. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I am a new Prius chat member, but I've been lurking since buying my 08 Prius in 2/08.

I've decided I want to add body moldings, and noticed they are on clearance now via this website for $85. However, my color, classic silver, was not listed in the drop down menu. Instead, millennium silver was available. From my understanding, the classic silver is a slightly brighter color. I'm curious how it would look to add the millennium silver body molding to the classic silver car.

Any thoughts? Has anybody else done the same, and have any pictures for me to see?

Also, if anybody has a couple of trim rings for sale in good condition, I would be interested in buying them.

Thanks, Chuck

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Chuck -

It might be an interesting two-tone effect. We could send you a set so you can put the colors up against each other to see what you think. If you don't end up liking the color combo and you don't install them, we'll accept a refund on them. It'll only cost you the shipping both ways (probably about $10 each way).

If you do decide to try them out, be sure to put something about this thread in your order notes so that we can have it logged for the future.

Danny

3. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Danny, and thanks for your response. I suppose I could have them painted to match classic silver if I didn't like the way it looks...or would I have to worry about the paint chipping off if I did that?

4. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I decided to take a risk and go ahead with this...I think the millennium silver will look good with the classic silver. We shall see! Apparently, the classic silver is actually the darker of the 2 colors (I got it turned around in my earlier post) so the millennium silver moldings may look like a nice highlight of the other color. If not, I'll take Danny up on his offer of a refund.

I found 2 trim rings on eBay to buy, so I don't need those anymore...

~C

5. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, It is time for an update. I received the 2 trim rings that I bought off of eBay. They were used and were pretty scratched up...way more than the description led me to believe! Anyway, I was able to send them back for a full refund.

I know quite a few people don't like the trim rings. Well, I happen to actually like them! They are unique to the Prius, and I like the fact that they protect the alloy wheel that's underneath. Anyway, after my disappointment in receiving the 2 scratched up trim rings, I got to thinking about getting new ones. I then discovered new chrome wheelskins that are available on eBay, and bought a set. I happened on a great deal...only $48.59 for the whole set, and because I live close to the actual warehouse, I was able to pick them up in person and avoid shipping costs! I put them on the car this afternoon, and I really like the look!

I've also received my body side moldings, and after much trial, I decided that they will look best mounted at 13" in the front and 14" in the back, giving it a rake of 1" from front to back. The color difference looks ok, so I'm going to go with it. I'm having them put on professionally in a couple days, and will post a picture of the final result when I do. However, I took a couple pictures using tape to hold them in place, and you can see them in my recently posted album: "My 08 Prius Before and After" I can't seem to figure how to get the picture to post in this message, so if you want, take a look.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Chuck,

Here's one of your photos -- the one showing the body side moldings and Chrome Wheelskins wheel covers:

[imglink]http://priuschat.com/forums/members/fintonissimo-albums-my-08-prius-before-after-picture2953-prius-evolve1-added-millenium-silver-body-moldings-these-not-mounted-in-picture-they-stuck-tape-i-edited-out-picture-height-in-front-13-above-bottom-car-bottom-edge-strip-rake-1-so-distance-14-bottom-in-back.jpg[/imglink]

For the moldings, a one inch differential front to back is definitely the way to go. That was the conclusion I, Rokeby and others came to as well.

Welcome to the PriusChat Chrome Wheelskins/Imposters Club. A few of us who have them have posted photos here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/60560-chrome-wheel-skins.html

Here are instructions for inserting photos or images into your posts on PriusChat:

1. To insert photos from an outside site like flickr or any site (including PriusChat), click on the mountain/sun icon on the furthest right and top of your reply/post box. Then copy and paste the URL of your photo or image in between the bracketed "IMGLINK" command and the bracketed "/IMGLINK" command. This is how I inserted your photo into this post.

2. To insert photos from your PriusChat photo album, open up the photo you want to insert. On the bottom there's a "BB Code" for the photo which you just copy and paste into the post you're writing. Notice that the BB Code for your photo is the URL for your photo already wrapped around with the "IMGLINK" and "/IMGLINK" commands described in #1 above.

3. To insert photos as an attachment, click on the paper clip icon on top of your reply/post box. Then "browse" your computer for the photo you want. Then "upload" that photo. The photo will then appear at the end of your post as a thumbnail which people can click on to open. If you want to insert that thumbnail photo directly into your post, you can do so by previewing your post, opening up the photo, copying the photo's image location/URL and then following the instructions in #1 above.

7. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha! Thanks Tom, I just did it and it worked; however because I haven't had 5 posts yet, it wouldn't let me do it. I forget how many I have, this might actually be my 5th post. So, I will try again!

If this works in my next post, it should be a picture that is a closeup of the one Tom already posted. You can see that the color difference is very small. In this picture, the moldings are not mounted. They are hanging via masking tape which I edited out of the picture.
    This allowed me to see what it would look like before actually having it done.

8. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I will try again:[IMGLINK][​IMG][/IMGLINK]

By jove, I think I've got it!! :rockon:

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You hit a homer, Homer.

BTW, I don't know about you, but I find the Chrome Wheelskins to be extremely addictive. In person, they look absolutely fantastic. Once you put them on, it's real hard to look at anybody's silver painted alloy wheels without thinking that they really should be chrome.

10. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Tom, you said:
    Well, I do tend in general to think all people should be like me...however, these are really cool, and for a very small amount of money! At first I was reluctant to buy them because I wasn't sure how durable they'd be, but when I saw the eBay ad and how little they would cost, I decided to take a chance. Hopefully they'll last ok through the Chicago winters...we shall see. If not, I'll just by a new set whenever I eventually need to!

In other news, I just had the moldings put on. They look really good. The color of the moldings is so slightly different, the body shop personnel stated that even if they tried to paint them the same color as the car, they might have come out the same way. In a bit, I will post some pictures...thanks for showing me how!

Chuck

11. fintonissimo

fintonissimo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here are 2 pictures:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

12. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Reopening this old thread because it was useful to me and I want to report that the two silvers are close enough to match.

I installed Classic Silver hood and rear bumpter cover from a 2009 Silver Prius on my Millenium Silver 2004 Prius, and the paint match was absolutely fine by eye; you might notice a very slight difference under some light at the seam between the two, but unless you are looking for it you will never in a million years notice the difference. There was more of a difference between the paint samples that I got from Toyota, but even those were close enough that they should match decently.