1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool for Gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by davidls, Dec 6, 2014.

1. davidls

davidls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would appreciate some advice on the value of owning this tool. I own a 2008 Gen 2, and plan to do my own routine maintenance. What are the benefits of having this tool in the toolkit? Seems to me that it might be a good idea to have it just in case something does go wrong. Is it needed to evaluate the condition of the battery pack? Thanks.
    I would appeciate any thoughts

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are many posts about Mini VCI. In brief, it provides you essentially the same diagnostic power as available to Toyota dealer techs using Toyota Techstream. You need this tool to replace brake fluid, to dynamically show you traction battery module pair voltages and internal resistances, to display many operating parameters associated with the engine, transaxle, skid control system, SRS system, etc etc.

You will not be able to perform security-related functions with this tool such as enabling a new fob to be recognized by the immobilizer ECU.

If you are a serious DIYer then you will have Mini VCI available to you as well as access to Toyota factory repair manual info (at techinfo.toyota.com)

This requires a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop. In my case I use a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp and Windows 7 32 bit OS.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Patrick just to qualify your post a little.
    It is possible with the VCI to enable a new fob to be recognized by the immobilizer ECU providing you still have a working fob.
    It is also possible to remove a lost fob from the ECU memory " useful if you think the fob has been stolen" or only one fob supplied with the car. However you are correct that you cannot program the ECU to a new fob "if you do not have a working fob".

To the OP as already stated by Patrick the VCI is a must have tool if you intend doing your own service work. One trip to the dealer to retrieve DTC codes would pay for the VCI fourfold not including the time saved.

John (Britprius)

4. davidls

davidls Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks very much Patrick and John. I'll be ordering one.