1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini VCI Firmware 1.4.1 vs 2.0.4 for Gen 2 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kizzy, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've recently purchased a Mini VCI cable to connect my XP laptop to my 2008 Prius. Should be arriving next week.

I'm pretty sure the cable I purchased has firmware 1.4.1, as opposed to the newer models which have 2.0.4. Does anyone know what additional functionality I might be losing by not having the more modern cable firmware version? Will the 1.4.1 firmware still give me a fully functional Techstream for use with the 2008 (Gen 2) Prius? Supposedly the 1.4.1 does not allow for "active" tests, or perhaps control over some of the "customize" features. True? Will I be locked out of some of the options?

My understanding is that it isn't really possible to update the firmware on these Chinese knock-off cables, so apparently that is not an option.

-Kizzy

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty sure mine is also 1.41, and the only PIDs that don't work are the HV Battery Internal Resistance(s).

But I haven't tried everything, and still find the GUI for Torque to be lacking.

3. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks SFO for letting me know. My cable arrived and it is indeed firmware v1.4.1.

Just curious, what version of Techstream are you using?

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something older, doubt it was 10.x

5. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm trying to decide which version would be best for my Gen 2. Thinking either 7.x or 8.x.

6. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just to follow up in case it helps anyone else, I went with Techstream v8.0.0.34. Works perfectly with the Mini VCI cable I got from eBay for $14.79. Seems as though pretty much all features are available, including customize options, although I have yet to test everything.

#6 Kizzy, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  7. Kizzy

Kizzy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Update - I have not been able to locate the options within Techstream for disabling the seatbelt and reverse warning beeps. I have the options to customize other settings under the "Warnings" menu, but not those two. It's OK, since it's possible to do it via the usual chicken-dance steps. Not sure if this is a limitation of the software, or perhaps some other issue, such as my cable firmware being 1.4.1 vs. 2.0.4.