1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mini VCI & Techstream 10.10.018 Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by longtimetoyota917, Sep 1, 2016.

1. longtimetoyota917

longtimetoyota917 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi guys, I was hoping someone here would be able to help me I recently received the Techstream Software + Mini VCI cable from Amazon, this is version 10.10.018 if that helps, I installed the software on my windows laptop but every time i go to test the codes on the car it asks me for a "New Key" for registration. Does anybody know what to do? I know many people on this forum highly suggest getting a Mini VCI cable, now only if I can figure out how to use it haha. Thanks everyone.

#1 longtimetoyota917, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i just got a mini vci cable too.

i think the code is a like a "valid license code" that you paid for.

the software on the disc is, to my understanding, free to download, but to actually run it, you need a valid license code, which you must acquire.

hope this helps,
    aaroncv3

3. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    so how is everyone checking the codes on their Prius' from that Amazon VCI cable?

4. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    probably with the code that they acquired. emphasis on acquired.

5. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    hmm so did u acquire a code yet and been able to use yours?

6. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i haven't yet tried. i want to, soon, i just got sidetracked with more pressing matters.

7. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    *bump* does anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.

8. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you just got 3 responses in 10 minutes and you're bumping the thread?

if you want to use software without paying for it, my suggestion is to google it, because you won't find that sort of help in this forum.

9. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have been googling it, its actually this forum that suggested in multiple threads I got the software in the first place. I did not download a free software I actually paid for this software and I am just trying to find a way to use it. I wouldn't have returned to this PriusChat forum to ask how to use this cable if i hadn't rea din multiple multiple posts all the senior members telling the newbie members to buy it. Why are you getting upset at me to ask how to use this?

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am using XP version but I do not recall any codes to be entered.
    Suggest check comments in Amazon and post here exactly what product you got on Amazon, so we can click on it and see what it says.

I don't quite understand how the Techstream/miniVCI is distributed but it seems to be ad hoc with differing quality from each little supplier. When I got mine I decided to skip Amazon and go to seller on EBay but that was a few six months back and Amazon did not have the version 10 at the time.

Maybe there was a code during set up but if so the documentation covered that

#10 wjtracy, Sep 1, 2016
  11. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you bought the cable on Amazon, even though it includes a disc, you didn't buy the software. you bought the cable and a CD-R that the seller made with a copy of the software on it. you still need a legitimate license code, which is certainly more than the $30 or so that you spent on Amazon.

i'm telling you that this forum cannot help you get a code without actually buying a valid code.

i'm sure there's plenty of help with actually using the software, once up and running, in this forum.

but like i said, nobody here can tell you how to get a code without buying it from Toyota or an authorized representative.

also, there's no need to bump an active thread. its already bumping itself. bump just means to bring a dormant thread back to the top of the list.

i hope this answers your questions.

12. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for the response. Haha i definitely don't think I'm tech savvy enough to do this and definitely got in over my head! This is the article I found that describes my process to setup this VCI cable, I also attached the amazon link, How to install Techstream V10.10.018 in Windows 7/8 64bit OS | DIYobd2 Blog, i think I will go return this and my family friend to help me read the codes, i really thought this was easy enough to do myself!

kenoarto likes this.
  13. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the article you linked looks like it tells you exactly how to use the software without paying for it.

the method in that article is software piracy, and not the legitimate means of getting it going.

14. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Again, i bought this from the recommendation of Multiple senior members of this forum, literally in almost every other thread a member recommends buying this cable. Surely there needs to be a way to get it functioning, i had no problem paying for the cable and software and have no problem paying what i need to to use it legitimately. If you have any suggestions of how to get this software running "properly" that is my only intention of posting on this forum, because literally everything I've found on google is almost a verbatim step by step of what i linked above. I have already contacted a family mechanic in the meantime and will not count on this as a means to diagnose my car. Again, if anyone has any suggestions on how you were able to get your software functioning on your computer legitimately please let me know!

kenoarto likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well lots of negative reviews if you sort on most recent (August 2016)

My impression is there was lots of success with the older XP version, but the Win 7/8/10 version generally requires some work. I had a Vista desktop but it turned out it really had XP on it, so I never had to get into Win 7+ issues. My Ebay vendor gave some Win7+ installation help software, but I did not try it yet. On top of that, the "fly by nights" may have bad solder joints in the VCI.

#15 wjtracy, Sep 1, 2016
  16. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks for the response! do u think it would be worth my time n money to buy a cheap windows XP computer, just afraid ill have install problems on that too. the seller emailed me back, hopefully he can help me get it working on the my pc. thanks again for the helpful response!

17. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    look, man. i'm not trying to be rude or off-putting, and you don't need to repeat yourself to me.

my actual suggestion to get the software running "properly" is to buy it from Toyota. that's just all there is to it.

best of luck

18. longtimetoyota917

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    not a man here haha, and no problem, i didn't know there was an additional software to purchase. i will buy it if its cost effective and helps me diagnose my car! it just seemed this was a pretty standard thing for priuschat users to have so I'm just wondering what the deal is with it.

kenoarto likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...my approach was to use older unused desktop PC as a guinea pig. I was given two sets of Techstream on the disk - one for XP and one for Win7+. So unfortunately the old machine had XP on it, so I did not learn how to do Win7 yet.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...but to my knowledge, nobody here is doing that (Toyota version). I am under the impression that is enormously expensive. Everyone here is using EBay or Amazon type copy $25-$35 range XP version on older PC or they are saavy enough to get the drivers working on Win7+...I do not understand why they can sell it, but they do

kenoarto likes this.