1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ministers abandon Jaguars for green and trendy Toyota

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by IsrAmeriPrius, May 31, 2005.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    [Broken External Image]:http://www.independent.co.uk/img/newsite/furniture/new_indy_logo3.gif

Ministers abandon Jaguars for green and trendy Toyota (click here for the complete article)

By Marie Woolf, Chief Political Correspondent
    31 May 2005

Excerpts:

It is the vehicle of choice for Hollywood A-listers such as Brad Pitt and Cameron Diaz ­ and now cabinet ministers are being issued with the hi-tech, environmentally friendly car that can cut pollution and beat the congestion charge.

Eight ministers in the Labour government have so far taken delivery of the £17,000, five-door hatchbacks since the Government Car Service began offering them as an alternative to traditional marques.

The Environment minister Elliot Morley is an enthusiastic convert to the Prius.

"It's excellent," he said. "When you accelerate, the petrol engine kicks in with the electric battery so you get good acceleration.

"It's also really quiet. The downside is when you are driving, people can't hear it coming. I almost ran over someone in the House of Lords who didn't know I was there."

Ministers say that the cars will symbolically be driven at the G8 summit at Gleneagles in July when climate change will be high on the agenda. And the green technology means that the Prius is exempt from the London congestion charge.

So far, 1,000 models have been sold in the UK this year, and Toyota expects to sell 3,000 by 2006. Such is their popularity that the waiting list for delivery of the latest model is two months.

However, some ministers may take a little more convincing about the benefits of a Prius. The Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, otherwise known as "Two Jags" because of his favoured vehicle, is still in possession of a Jaguar limousine.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    But Mr. Prescott got out of the way. :twisted:

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well i guess its a start. and seems to me someone told me there was a HUGE daily entrance fee into London which seems to be exempt for a Prius that you would save along with the cost of gas

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda funny how the Minister of Transport, Aliston Darling has appointed a new Minister of Road Safety who's name is Ladyman.

UK's Transport Department is run by Darling and Ladyman

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:f8c0855f77]Perhaps driving in the House of Lords will replace fox hunting.[/font:f8c0855f77]

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The daily access fee of £5 applies only to central London.

More in Wikipedia - London Congestion Charge.