1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Minivan dream: Peugeot 5008

Discussion in 'Diesels' started by zenMachine, Feb 15, 2010.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was in Stuttgart last week and saw this minivan displayed in a mall. A remarkable looking people mover. The panoramic roof is stunning. The diesel version gets really good mileage too (5.8 L/100km combined). I'd love to test drive this thing.

Car review: Peugeot 5008 MPV (2010 - )

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's pricey though... The Prius' price range is encompassed within the 5008's price range (and frankly, do people really buy a 120hp petrol minivan?!?! We complain about < 140hp in a compact car!)

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With fuel the price of ours here in Europe we have no choice! You either get good fuel economy or good performance but not both :(

The 5008 does look an interesting car and Peugeots are usually very stylish cars but if you search the internet you will find that they don't have the best reliability.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realise that :(. I'm no powerhouse maniac but how do you carry 7 people with an engine of that size and power?? I'm sure a more powerful engine will get the same fuel economy because you'll be stressing the smaller engine, thus using more fuel. (I remember a few years back, the 525i and the 535i here got nearly identical fuel mileage. The 525i was 0.1L/100km more fuel efficient on the highway). It must be based on CO2 emissions or engine size... or maybe so that manufacturers can advertise a lower starting price?

You have a choice now - hybrids. You get good fuel economy and good performance. (think GS450h for an extreme case)

5. sgm0815

sgm0815 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume that you do not carry 5 persons all the time in your Prius? It is the same for Minivans. Most of the time it is like one or two persons and some groceries.
    As GrumpyCabbie stated, milage is a reason. And the average European does not drag race.
    I remember driving a VW Passat with a 1.5l diesel engine and 70 hp. It was no rocket at the stop light, but close to 125 mph (200km/h) were no problem (on the German Autobahn).

Concerning hybrids (and power): A short time ago I testdrove a Twike (twike.com). Nice threewheeled twoseater - electric and human hybrid (pedals like a recumbent). The 3kW (about 4 hp) engine is enough to keep up with urban traffic and reaches about 60 mph (close to 100 km/h). Calculated milage would be in the 500 mpg range (0,5 l/100km). Using the latest LION Batteries the range is up to 120 miles (200km). The price is high - more than a loaded Prius :(

Martin

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but our 2005 is used as a family car so yes it carries 4 people regularly (i.e. every day) and it has 102hp & 113lb-ft (measured on a dyno).

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We have five people in our family, so a vehicle like this would be ideal. The extra 2 seats in the back would only get used very rarely anyway. All the seats, except the driver's, can fold down, making it a spacious cargo van when needed. Road tripping in this car should be a very pleasant experience without the fuel penalty of a minivan or (god forbid) a Suburban.

You can also choose from five different engine options to optimize for your particular needs. The diesel options appear to have pretty good balance between efficiency and torque.

The panoramic roof, however, is the real killer.

Attached Files:

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can I ask a question here? Is the panoramic roof an unusual thing in the states? Peugeot have done them for years now, starting with their 407Station Wagon in about 2004. Peugeot 407 SW Estate (04 on) Gallery - Parker's 407SW 2.7TDi V6 031208 (50).JPG

Have driven one of those and the roof idea is great. The interior roof can be moved back to reveal a gap about the same size as a traditional sun roof (what's the difference between a sunroof and a moon roof?), or slide it all the way back to have a panoramic glass roof. It's heavily darkened so you don't get baked by the sun but it is just soo weird to have the sky above you in a station wagon.

9. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't know how rare they are, but I've never seen a panoramic roof like this one in the States before, that's for sure.

This car also has a heads-up display as well as parking assist. I forgot to ask if it had a reverse camera (though I'd be very surprised if it didn't).

BTW, Peugeot pulled out of the US market way back when. There are very few dealers around, maybe a handful in the entire state of Texas.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only a few cars offer it (std or opt)

• R-Class
    • E-Class
    • Lexus ES350
    • smart fortwo passion coupé (opt. on pure. We don't get the pulse here)
    • B-Class (multi-panel)
    • S-Class
    • Q5
    • X3
    • Scion tC
    • Pontiac G6 (multi-panel)
    • Toyota Venza
    • Cadillac CTS
    • Legacy/Outback Wagon (Twin Moonroof)
    That's all I can think off of the top of my head.
    If you're wondering what's the difference btwn the panoramic roof and the twin moonroof that I listed for the Subaru Legacy, the Legacy's setup is actually two separate moonroofs (so there is metal between the two glass panels) and the front one tilts only and the rear one slides. Multi-Panel just means they have multiple panels of glass that slide up against one another rather than just one fixed moonroof at the rear and one normal moonroof at the front.

The difference between a moonroof and a sunroof is that the moonroof is glass and a sunroof is metal. They both tilt and slide but the advantage of a moonroof is that you can pull the sunshade back and let light in. With a sunroof, you have to open up the roof to let light in.

Mazda5? It's about the size of a Mazda3.

I agree. The panoramic roof is quite nice.

11. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here are some specs:

Peugeot 5008 vs Mazda 3

Length: 178.4 vs 177.4
    Width: 84 vs 69.1
    Height: 64.5 vs 57.9
    Wheel Base: 107.4 vs 103.4

So even though they're almost similar in length, the 5008 is significantly wider and taller than the Mazda3. Hence the 2nd row can have three independent seats of equal size.

12. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Attached Files:

13. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The original Dodge/Chrysler Caravan minivan was speced with a 4cyl engine that produced a whopping 100hp. My parents had one and we'd load it up to the brim for road trips.

Sure, it was a bit slow up big mountain grades (pretty much had to floor it to maintain 55mph), but other than that, it had enough power. The biggest issue with the power delivery was the craptastic 4-spd auto with wide gear spacing which would constantly hunt going up those grades.

Later got a newer one with the 150hp V6 and thought that had huge amounts of power. No issues at all.

So 120hp with a decent transmission should be OK, especially in Europe. If Americans weren't so power hungry (or if gas was more expensive) the smaller engines would be more popular here as well.

14. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    120hp doesn't sound like much but this is a diesel and not a gasoline engine. Torque is mre important than hp in my mind. With more power you can accelerate to 60 quicker but with more torque you'll be able to hold that speed easier and thus use less fuel.

Don't look at the numbers just drive it. Heck my diesel jetta was rated at 90hp when it was stock and whenever I told people that thy didn't believe it.

It's all about torque and frankly I dint know why Americans are so obsessed with hp.

Even more importantly is the torque curve. If you look at a gas engines curve it's mostly linear and doest produce very much torque down low. But if you look at a diesels torque curve you will see the peak torque very early in the rpm range. The new dd16 Detroit diesel semi engine makes 2050lb-ft at 1000 rpm. It's no sen close to the same as a diesel minivan but the same concept applies, torquq down that low is useble torque, meaning you don't have to rap out the engine to get it to go.

15. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The many engine options provide quite a range of power and torque. Three examples:

1.6 VTi petrol: 1596cc, 120bhp @ 6000rpm, 160Nm @ 4250rpm, 38.7mpg (combined)

HDi 110 diesel EGC (Electronic Gearbox Control): 1560cc, 110bhp @ 4000rpm, 240/260Nm @ 1750rpm, 55.4mpg (combined)

HDi 163 diesel Automatic: 1997cc, 163bhp @ 3750, 340Nm @ 2000rpm, 41.5mpg (combined)

Attached Files:

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Taking about small engines check out the Skoda Superb (based on an Audi A6) which comes with a 1400cc petrol engine! It's turbo charged and has 125bhp, 0-60 in 10.5 seconds (same as the Prius) and gets 42 mpg (UK).

New Skoda Superb Saloon Car Review - Driving & Performance - Parker's

Was going to get one instead of the Prius but wanted an automatic box.

17. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's not about torque, it's about power under the curve - I'll take a nice flat torque curve over one that peaks significantly at low or high RPMs any day. That way you have decent hp at low RPMs and can cruise efficiently, but still have the ability to rev the engine when you need the power.

Have a look at the BMW 3.0l twin-turbo 6cyl. Makes 300ft/lbs of torque at 1500rpm, is flat up to 4000rpm then tapers down slightly towards redline making well over 250hp from 3500rpm to redline at 7000rpm. Now that is a great engine.

The only reason you'd use less fuel is because you are able to turn the engine slower (because the engine makes more power/hp at lower RPMs) thus reducing frictional losses. That's how a Vette is able to get 30mpg on the highway - in 6th gear at 65mph, the engine is barely over idle.

Bad example, though I agree that it's the torque curve that matters - the torque curve in your typical semi engine falls flat on it's face much over 2000 rpm. So now you have to row the crap out of the gears to keep the engine in the sweet spot.

18. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's merely the example that came to mind when I thought of it. It's redline is 1650rpm. Yes semis need to be shifted a lot. We have three with 10 speeds and one with an 18spd but it's the best way to keel them in their powerband. Cars have done the same over the years adding more gears to keep vehicles in the powerband.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah except that I was talking about the petrol (gas) engine.

20. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    * 72 entrants from 18 countries drove in 4 different Peugeot HDi diesel cars
    * 1000km of normal roads from Paris to Geneva in all weathers
    * Peugeot 308 HDi returns just under 90 mpg in real world driving conditions.

Coinciding with the 2010 Geneva Motor Show, the Peugeot ECO CUP was designed to see if four different standard Peugeot HDi diesel models in the hands of everyday drivers could deliver fuel economy to match or beat the official government fuel economy figures.

The result? They were not so much matched as shattered. The best return was a fraction shy of 90mpg and, what is more, this wasn’t in a tiny city car, hybrid or specially adapted vehicle. It was in a standard production Peugeot 5-door 308 HDi 110 model, driven over 1000kms of French and Swiss roads in heavy wintery conditions. Even Peugeot’s new 7-seater 5008 MPV returned economy figures of nearly 85mpg.

PEUGEOT ECO CUP DELIVERS ASTONISHING REAL-WORLD FUEL ECONOMY | Response Source