1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Minor Smart Key problem = ECU Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Mar 6, 2006.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Regardng my 2004 package 9 (which I think is now called package 6 ... meaning you got everything the car could possibly come with):

When my SKS smart function seemed to die a year ago I thought, "no biggie" I'll just use the remote to open the door(s) and plug the fob in to start up. This happened around 19,000 miles. The only reason I was at the dealer at that time was so they could program a 2nd SKS. It took numerous tries, and THREE HOURS. Only intermitent smark function after that day.

At 42,000 miles I got a recall for a brake light switch. Needing an oil change anyway, I asked them to reprogram BOTH SKS's so the smart function would work again. So they had the car for the whole day. They called me back around 5PM.

At 5PM the dealer says, "We can't replicate your problem.†That was because the dealer plugged the fob into the dash and the car started fine. They never even thought to try the smart function. Those fellows can sure be knuckleheads on occasion. Next, they acknowledged a problem, but they were out of time for that day. They asked me to bring it back EARLY so they could play with it for a longer time. Oil change & brake switch complete, I would come back another day.

5 minutes later, I got home. Hit the remote to lock it and will it lock? No. Neither of my fobs will remotely lock any more. "HEY!! What’s up with that", I said to the service tech upon immediately calling him back. I bring in two FOBS for smart programming and I loose the ability to lock the doors remotely. BTW, it's VERY annoying to have to pull that tiny key off the fob to unlock the doors. "Don't worry Mr. Hill, we'll get it right when you bring it back". (for another day)

Later in the week, and back in the shop, the Prius got worked on all day. They called at 5PM saying, "err, Mr. Hill we still have a problem". They said the SKS's ECU was the problem, and it'd have to be replaced ... and that will be over ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. "So, let me get this right ... I bring in a fob for programming at 19,000 miles, where I loose the smart function, and now at 42,000 you loose my remote door lock function ... so i have to buy a $1,000 + ECU?

Lovely. At least I bought the ZERO deductible bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. But this isn't the end of the SKS snafu. Wind the calander 2 weeks forward, the ECU is ordered and installed. Time for me to pick up my properly working smart system, right?

"Mr. Hill, your car is ready ... only there's just one more thing. We could only program ONE of your TWO fobs completely. The other fob will only work if you stick it in the dash ... and it will no longer remotely lock/unlock the doors ... and the smart function won't work on it either. Thanks Mr. Hill ... and have a nice day." Yea, thanks a lot. So I left with only one properly working SKS.

I just got off "anythingtoyota.com" where I had to buy a 2nd fob. Just doesn't seem right, does it? Gary

2. dkenglish7

dkenglish7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I think I would be talking to the service manager and the regional Toyota representative. To me, that extended warranty should be replacing your nonfunctional fob as well. Arguably, they broke it. Not you.

pashko90 likes this.
  3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. where are you located
    2. have you tried using another dealer
    3. did you ever complain about losing sks function or just say screw it and use the fobs as dumb keys until it was convenient to go back

to their credit, the reprogram job is like a rain dance. irritatingly complex and deliberate. easy to muck up by anyone.

i wonder if somehow they knocked out your master key and that's why the sks is no longer working. i don't know if that's possible. eh. i'll ask my husband when he gets home from the shop tonight.

funny they wouldn't work on your car because it was "too late"... it's now 8pm and someone i know is still tinkering with a car.

for finding quality service in the future, please see this thread: http://priuschat.com/Getting-Your-Prius-Serviced-t16494.html

good luck :)

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium

I'm going to the Laguna Hill/Irvine (South Orange County CA) dealer. But you're right ... I'm motivated now to go north to the Tustin Dealer. They're still gladly working on RAV4-EV's up there, and those owners have high regards for their tech's ways. When my new fob comes (from anythingtoyota.com) in a couple days, I'll be taking it to Tustin.

I'm going to used the damaged key as my spare ... leave it hidden in the car. Since it no longer has remote unlock or smart capability, I'm thinking it will work fine just to start the car if I use it's door key hidden under the car. Lemons turned to lemonaid :^)

Yes, I complained at 19,000 miles that the smart function died, which they recalled. But the service manager's take on it is that since I waited 'till 42,000 miles,that all bets are off. To their credit, I realize the fob programing details are like vodoo. Thank God for extended warranties or it would have really been ugly.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to insist on a new SKS ECU...again.

Here's what can happen (it happened to me). A replacement ECU comes with 2 new fobs. Those are the fobs that MUST but use with the new ECU...the old ones absolutely will not work.

I don't know how/why you initially lost SKS function (and frankly can't belive you didn't insist on having the single best option available fixed immediately), but it needs to be fixed. This will affect your ultimate resale value and is a feature you shouldn't/needn't be without. It's 100% fixable in a system that is not actually all that complex (not withstanding the 'dance' to program an extra fob).

I'll bet that they replaced the ECU, tried to program it to your old fobs (easier b/c your keys were already on there), then screwed everything up doing that. You've got to have the fobs that come with the new ECU, then you can program extra fobs to that if necessary.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hi Evan,

Yes, I've read on numerous posts that the ECU must necessarily come w/ the new~coresponding FOBs. When I saw only 2 fobs sitting in the car upon completion of my work order, I said to the service manager, "Hey, where's the new fobs that come w/ the new ECU??" They said there is none.

What does one do at that point? Should I tell them, "hey, that's impossible ... I've read tons of posts on priusonline & prius chat that say otherwise"? No ... at that junction ... and with days and days of ongoing frustration ... I grabbed my one crummy fob & one working fob and got the heck out of there, just glad that I had ONE WORKING SKS fob. Thanks a lot Toyota of Irvine. But if I can go back & bitch with authority (writing) please, someone let me know.

BTW ... the folks at anythingtoyta.com aka Mike Calvert Toyota (home of the $131.00 + $7.00 shipping replacement fob) now say that this web site is officially "unmanned" ... but I'm still trying to get my replacement fob from them, as this is the cheapest advertised price … if in fact I can get them to honor it. Gary

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    rather than complain to the service manager, who clearly is aware of the problem and indifferent... i'd call up the regional folks or the customer service number and report that the problem has not been fixed, they have tried multiple times and the system is still not working correctly and the malfunction is blatant.

i would bet that once you get it into capable hands it will be taken care of without a problem.

there are techs that get it and those that don't. when it comes to the sks, most of DH's coworkers end up going to him and asking. i think you'd be well off leaving that particular dealer simply because of the manager's indifference... but in many cases turning it over to another tech will suffice and they should know that. they really should know which jobs to give which guy... but many aren't great at matching ability to assigned tasks.

and he did say... it is possible to royally screw something up so bad that you can deprogram both keys, have no master and a nonfunctional although brand new ECU.

let us know how it turns out.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, speaking strictly as a systems analyst, shouldn't the dealer service manager and tech responsible both RTFM?

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I would've stayed and bitched...or at least asked them for a specific plan and time table as to how they were going to fix it. I know you're upset, but, I repeat, this is a very fixable problem...a relatively easy one at that.

Call the Toyota Customer support, get a case number, follow up where you wish. Very few SKS ECUs have had to be replaced, but it's critical that it be done correctly. And yes, I WOULD tell them that you've been to online Prius sites and have been informed by others who've experienced the same problem (partially working fob with ECU replacement but old fobs) that it is imperative that new fobs specifically programmed to the new ECU be given at the time of repair.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Read the fine manual (I believe that's what that means)? Not sure how that applies, if in fact they DID RTFM. ... And what is the "fine manual"? Anyway, I'll see about contacting customer support (if in fact that's not an oxymoron) to see if they will pursue this.

I'll advise what they say.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hehehe no, that's not what it means. But we *are* a family-friendly G-rated chat.

There is a *very* detailed but somewhat tedious and perhaps confusing procedure for the SKS/ECU. You can actually verify this yourself by downloading the service manual at:

techinfo.toyota.com

As our resident Doctor stated, the replacement ECU came with 2 new fobs. They should have worked, you just swap the metal emergency keys over.

I'm still puzzled you let this go so long though. Any vehicle I've had while still under warranty, I've nit-picked to death. That's what the warranty is for.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    OOOHHhhh, NOW I get "rtfm" (feeling like a dope). As to nitpicking the factory warranty before it runs out, I had no need because of the extended waranty. And thanks for direction to downloading the Manual. I'm doing that right now. Then, I'll be dealing with customer service folks.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    WOW ... Downloaded the service manual. Quite a chore, as it wasn't in one big file. 90 minutes, 224 separate pdf files, and $10 later, I still can’t find anything under the smart key / ECU adobe files that specifically states that the new ECU comes with two fobs. When I call customer service, I'd sure like to be armed with that in writing though. Quite a saga i got going here. Gary

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    What I did with the service manual was to clumped a bunch of the files togehter. Fortunately I have the full versioni 7 of Acrobat so i can eventually put all the doc's together into one super file when time permits.

In the mean time, I've sent off my detailed letter to customer support, asking for a remedy ... more better than being sent off with one working smart fob with my new ECU. Wish I could have found in writing ... in the service manual, that the ECU MUST necessarily come with 2 fobs.

Heck, I would have been satisfied even to have found it to say it necessarily comes with one! In any event, my note to Toyota customer support went out yesterday, and I was hoping there'd be a profuse apology when I got to my email today. Rather than that? I got nothing. Gary

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I checked with my local Toyota dealer - the one that sold me the Prius - and the replacement SKS/ECU does come with 2 fobs. Service manuals can be vague when it comes to exact part contents.

17. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have the '06 printed manual. I followed the trouble shooting proceedure to the point where they specified replacement of the Smart Key ECU. They said nothing about key fobs being included. It looks like that information would not be needed for the repair manual.

Good luck getting this worked out!

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the parts guy at your dealer should know. or, call another dealer's parts guy. ;)

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If so, PLEASE have him put it in writing! I spent MORE time with Toyota Service reps today. They gave me a case number: 200603101073. Whoopie - do. They never did answer my email, so I called them back. They told me if I wanted to try and get my 2nd FOB replaced I would have to have the extended warranty company "shake-them-down" for it (my translation, as they didn't seem to give a rip) because after all ... "it was the waranty company that paid for it", they said.

I said, "What? You mean if my aunt Bertha paid for my ECU being replaced, then she'd have to get my FOB, when the dealer shorts me a FOB?". No response. So after thanking Mr. Toyota "Service" rep, I bad him a nice week-end.

I called Longo Toyota (suposedly the largest here in CA) and spoke to Glen about ECU's. He's their SKS guru. Glen said that "NO ... a new ECU doesn't come with ANY new fobs". He checked it on his parts order computer thingie. I told him that makes NO sense, because if you have to wait 2 weeks and spend a GRAND on a new ECU, only to find out it's NOT your ECU, but rather your FOB(s) died, you'd then have to wait for FOBS to be ordered. And Toyota wouldn't do anything dumb like that ... right? :^)

Anyway, Glen said that Toyota CAN program the new ECU to old fobs, thus new one(s) don't come with it. When my new fob arrives (probably tomorrow or Monday) I'm taking it, and my mortally wounded fob to another shop. I'm hoping another shop will be able to program the new, AND the old one, so i can go back to Irvine Toyota service WITH A VENGENCE.

So - if there isn't anyone who can show otherwise, in writing, that SKS ECU's come with a new fob. I'm S.O.L unless as the customer service nut said, my extended warranty wants to shake them down for the cost of my new one. I'm going to have to get an awful lot of enjoyment out of this SKS to recoup my time.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hill,
    I think you're going about this wrong...you're too hung up on getting "proof" that the new ECU should come with 2 fobs. Keep it simple..."I want my SKS to work as it is supposed to. Period.".

Let them figure out the fine details...those details are that the new ECU absolutely MUST come with at least one (master) fob...no question about it. With the one master then any other fob can be programmed to the new ECU, but there must be one master. But that isn't your detail or concern to inform them of and I think you'd serve your own purposes better by keeping the concern/request simple. "I want my sks to work as it is supposed to."

We can then do all the mental masterbation and self congratulation we want here on the forum when they do get you fixed and admit that they had to give you the 2 fobs that come with the new sks ECU, but that's for them to figure out for themselves and any "Proof" you try to give them will be met with an equal amount of resistance.

Make an appt. at Longo, or whereever. Bring the car in, tell them the problem, ask them to fix it. When they can't fix it that day without replacing the ECU you just say "That's kinda what I figured." And drive away until they get the replacement part in, go back get it fixed and when you drop it off say "This means they have to give me 2 new fobs too, right?....here are my old ones, I'll just hang onto the keys so they don't get lost".