1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miracles Happen!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ggalanti, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

I am in shock as I write this. On October 30, I decided I wanted a Prius. I stumbled across PriusChat, and have become an avid reader. Thanks to all the advice from the incredibly wonderful people in this chat room, I got on waiting lists at 5 different dealers. But since I was unwilling to pay above MSRP (I mean, paying MSRP is bad enough!), it looked like it would take months and months to get my car.

Then yesterday, "macreative" posted a response to one of my many laments over the long wait time and suggested I call Sierra Toyota in Lancaster, CA and ask for Lillian Holland. I did, and as Robbie promised, she said she could get me the red salsa package 6 that I wanted within a month. I gave her all my info. TEN MINUTES LATER, she called me back and said she had one! (She had sold it the day before, but the people didn't pass the credit check.) If I wanted it, it was mine. (Apparently, no one else on their list wanted a red salsa option package #6.)

Today I drove to Lancaster (about 1-1/2 hours) and signed all the papers and wrote a check. They didn't charge a penny over MSRP. Didn't try to sell me the paint protector nonsense. They gave me just what I wanted. (Well, I didn't really want an alarm system, but it's coming with one, so I'll take it.) When the time came to talk about the extended warranty, I showed them the special deal offered to PriusChat members; my way of explaining why I wouldn't be buying it from them. Without batting an eye lash, Matt (the finance guy) said they'd match it! (I do feel guilty about not buying it on-line, but the allure of paying for everything at once was too great.)

To top everything off, the salesman (Lillian Holland made the deal with me on the phone; Ian Rybkin closed the deal with me today; she doesn't work on Sundays and referred me to him) offered to drive it to my house when it comes in! (Which should be sometime in the next 3 weeks.)

Anyone know what would be an appropriate tip to give him for driving it 1-1/2 hours to my home?

I want to thank everyone on PriusChat for all their help. I can't wait to be a REAL member, one with my very own Prius.

Geri-Ann

Sierra Toyota:661-948-0731

Time from placing order to getting a call: 10 minutes
    Time from accepting the offer to closing the deal: 24 hours
    Time to get my hands on the car: a few weeks (I hope)

As I said, Miracles Happen!!!

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All Right Geri-Ann! Hopefully people who HAVE been waiting a long time will take the "check out the less metropolitin dealers" advice to heart.

Berlin City would have delivered my car (130 miles and about 3 hours) for $100. I said "No Thanks. Ain't NOBODY breakin' in my Prius but ME!"

My dad was born in Lancaster. We used to go up and visit the cousins and his aunt when I was younger until they moved to Pasco, WA. I haven't been there in probably close to 40 years, but I'm sure it is a nice place to visit. Maybe the people buying your Camry want to drive you up so you can tell them all about it. Just make sure they pay for it first, after they see your Prius, they might want one instead. ;-)

BTW, I think the security system is part of the BC package so you didn't pay 'extra' like you would have if they had done the anti-theft serial number etching thing (Toyoguard??)

3. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

The drive back from Lancaster was incredible. High desert at sunset, giant clouds, crimson sun, and a light sprinkling of icy rain. I was in awe of the natural beauty.

I understand not wanting someone else to break in your car, but I'm delighted not to have to make the drive. My schedule is impossibly busy, so I don't know when I'd even have time to do it.

I think it's unfair that I got mine so quickly when others have been waiting so long ... but I am VERY appreciative. I've really worked hard researching and calling. It looks like it's both a matter of luck, and of finding the right dealer. I posted another announcement today ... Sierra Toyota has a gold 2005 package 6 coming in, and no buyer! Call Ian at 661-733-3715.

Good luck to everyone. (Please don't hate me!)

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"52009)</div>
    You can purge your guilt by making a donation to this site to make up for the lost revenue from the sale of the Toyota Extra Care plan.

PriusChat Donations/Individual Sponsorships

5. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    CONGRATS... you really can call yourself an owner... we all want to see the pictures... remember 'It's Worth the Wait"

Bob Andersen

6. tntna

tntna New Member

I had a similar story. Last Weds my wife had a minor car accident due to SUA (sudden unexpected acceleration) in the Rodeo. NHTSA has multiple reports of it but didn't notify owners. :( We decided to ditch the rodeo when I found out about it. Last time I bought a new car, the Prius was what I decided on after a year of research. Nothing has come out in four years to change my mind. On Friday we decided to get a Prius, but we couldn't really wait. Found threads in this Forum and PriusOnline where dealers in other parts of the country had ordered Prius and the buyer backed out. So I monitored the threads and bought a car in two days. It doesn't seem as though Toyota has a policy as to if the purchase is cancelled, the car goes to the next order online even if it's states away. I can understand the reasoning. Transport costs being the biggest. Plus I'm sure the dealer prefers to sell the car. We did feel the pain the first time around, 6 mos with the 2001.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    WTG GIRL@!!

that is the way to negotiate!! MSRP and the extended warantee and not a penny more than is necessary.

you might want to look into some sort of paint protection though. it is a good idea... but i will say it can be done much cheaper elsewhere.

there are some pretty decent do it yourself kits out there too. plus, putting on protection yourself will help you bond with your Prius...

8. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

IsrAmeriPrius said: You can purge your guilt (over getting my Prius so quickly) by making a donation to this site to make up for the lost revenue from the sale of the Toyota Extra Care plan. [I haven't quite figured out all the details of this posting system.]

Actually, I planned to celebrate the delivery of the car by making a dontation to PriusChat. I'm glad to hear that will help assuage the guilt!

9. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    You know, I hate to be a wet blanket, and maybe I didn't read this correctly...

But, didn't she say she had to pay for a dealer-installed alarm package? In my world, that's a big-profit, dealer add-on and hence, does not meet my qualifications as an MSRP purchase.

Or maybe she just means the Prius alarm, that comes with the package?

What did I miss?

10. ggalanti

ggalanti Junior Member

It's not a dealer-installed alarm; it's already on the car being shipped over from Japan. The dealer isn't adding anything, other than the lojack, which I requested.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus\";p=\"52094)</div>
    The BC package, which ggalanti bought already comes with a security system. The PIO V.I.P - RS3200 Plus security system would be redundant. There is, however, an PIO security system enhancement available for the Prius with the BC package - VIP Glass Breakage Sensor (GBS).

13. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

When you are planning your "guilt-assuaging" donation to PriusChat, don't overdo it (so you'll have some money left over for the calendar).

$5 of the Extended Warranty contract went to the website.

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jim, it's actually an amount that is different than that. I won't go the actual amount due to contractual obligations, but I didn't want mis-information to get out.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"52077)</div>
    Actually, I was referring to this:<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggalanti\";p=\"52009)</div>