1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mirai competitor?

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by Trollbait, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Will this tiny FCEV show up in California?
    Not likely, but I thought some would like to hear about it.

"Riversimple has unveiled the Rasa - a compact hydrogen fuel cell powered prototype built in Britain. The lightweight two seater has a range of up to 300 miles from only 1.5 kg of hydrogen.

Designed from the outset to be a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle (HCV), the Rasa prioritises efficiency above all else. At its core is a carbon composite chassis that helps keep weight down to just 580kg - about half that of a Ford Fiesta - which helps return an estimated fuel economy equivalent of 250 MPG.

The Rasa uses an 8.5kW fuel cell (around 11hp) to send electricity to motors in each of the four wheels. The only substance emitted from the tailpipe is water - the product of the the fuel cell combining hydrogen, from the fuel tank, and oxygen. The top speed is recorded at 60mph, and the Rasa has the lowest carbon mission for any vehicle "well-to-wheel" at around 40 g/km CO2." - Riversimple launches ultraefficient Rasa | Next Green Car

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a combination of the EQ and elio. If it gets big government subsidies from britian it may do as well as think. No I don't think they will export to the US or japan, this sounds like a europe only vehicle.

1.5 kg of H2 probably is 1 GGE of electicity if the stack is 60% efficient. If charging efficiency is 80%, then is 1.25 GGE to charge at a combo plug or chademo that's about an hour (depending on country). If you use a 40 kwh pack (see rav4 ev for size and weight), battery cost @$300/kwh would be $12,000, but then you get highway speed and great accelearation. We should see a tweener when the i3 is updated with the new battery later this year. The question is with very few places to refuel how much will people be willing to pay for something that goes at most 60 mph with no where to refuel?

Do I believe the 200 mpge? It must be a really really easy test. If the government pays for your hydrogen maybe. otherwise that twizzy or 2017 i3 looks like a much better deal.

#2 austingreen, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016