1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mirror auto-dimming with window tint

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by fbret, Nov 9, 2008.

1. fbret

fbret New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's a side effect of window tinting I did not think of when I got my tint:
    Once the rear window is tinted, it seems the auto-dimming no longer works.

It's not a big deal because the tint does cut of a lot of the headlights, but it is nowhere near as effective the mirror was.

Anybody took the time to figure a mod? Relocate the light sensor?

-Fred

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i'm confused

why would tinting the rear affect the auto dimming? the light sensor is on the front
    of the rear window.

the sensor on the front looks for ambient light, it then tells the mirror to look for glare, when the glass detects glare.. or something.. so if you tint your windows you would need to relocate the entire rear view mirror? like maybe outside? on top of the car? hah

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The mirror looks for a differential between lighting in front and lighting in back. Bright light from behind tells the mirror to dim. The rear tint on the OP's Prius may be dark enough to fool the mirror, so that it doesn't dim. In theory, if the tint is that dark, you shouldn't need a dim mirror, but light perception is a tricky thing.

Tom

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had my Prius tinted years ago, and I still think those darn Prius' HIDs are too bright when I'm being followed by one.

Hey, wait a minute...

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've noticed the effect of the normal reduction of the darkness of the mirror with tint, but it will darken more if you get a truck with bright headlights right up on your arse. The mirror is still doing its job of measuring the amount of light coming through the rear window and compensating for that amount.

6. fbret

fbret New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, it is differential based.
    The tint blocks 90% of UV ( and I assume IR too). So I think it is independant from tint percentage.
    Last night, I tried to open the mirror, but failed. Anybody has an idea how to split the mirror open?
    I did try the following:
    put a piece of magic tape on the front sensor and sharpie it black. The 2 minute test I did seemed to show some improvement, but nothing like what I rememembered.

-Fred