1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mirror Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by NOTALAMBO, Jul 21, 2016.

1. NOTALAMBO

NOTALAMBO New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi everyone,

I have a Gen 3 2011 Prius (I'm assuming it's the II because my wife and I always buy the base/stripper models) and unfortunately have an issue. So, the other day we allowed our daughter to drive our vehicle to work. Well, she couldn't find any open spots except near a dumpster and while backing up managed to crack the driver's side mirror's glass. Not a big deal, we're just glad it wasn't something worse or that she wasn't injured. Anyway, the frustration stems from my not being able to figure out what part number to purchase online. Hopefully, you guys and gals can help.

So, from my research, I've found two part numbers for the driver's side mirror glass. They are 8796147180 which is around $53 and 8796147170 which is around $32. Now, from my research, the only discernible reason you're paying $20 more for the one ending in "80" is due to it coming with some form of heating. So, my question is, did my base model come with heated mirrors and I'll mess something up if I buy the non heated ones? I ask because when I call these online Toyota parts stores and ask for help they take down my VIN and tell me I need the "80" one. I'm just curious if they're telling me that to get me to spend more or if there's an actual requirement that I have to get the more expensive one.

I appreciate any help.

-Michael

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For $50, you may be able to pick up the entire used mirror assembly on ebay.

I don't know if there's much of a difference at $20 to risk buying something wrong. If the VIN suggests the "80" model, then I'd probably buy the "80"

3. WolfpackBill

WolfpackBill Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful when you order the mirror. Your mirror could be a heated mirror so that's why it is more expensive. Easy way to check is when the mirrors are cool to the touch, turn the car on and turn on the rear defroster. The mirrors should be warm to the touch within minutes, check both sides to confirm. If so, then you have heated mirrors and if it doesn't, then you have the regular non-heated mirrors.