1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misadventure In Hypermiling: First Encounter With Anti-Hypermile Road Rage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Voltan, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Voltan

Voltan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When the question of what to do if you're tailgated arises, I am firmly in the camp of get-out-of-the-way and let people by, or better yet, keep your speed up with the normal flow of traffic so you don't clog up the roadway. But something came over me tonight on the way back from the early bird special at the Outback. You could call it hypermiling fervor. Mrs. Voltan and I are novices in high-mileage technology, so to us hypermiling is anything 50 mpg and above. There we were at an indicated 51 mpg tank average, doing 30 in a 30 on a two-lane, until we came to an uphill section. I wanted, no, I needed a few more tenths, so I turned off the cruise control and crested the hill at 22 mph. There was a trucklet with a blue oval close behind and a little train behind him. I gave a long signal to warn of my impending turn off the road, which I executed with a long glide and no brake. In a fit of anti-hypermiling road rage, the trucklet driver blew his horn at me, but I was now at 51.5 mpg, so what did I care. Shaken but elated, I glided into the garage at 51.7 mpg. I had broken a rule I had lived by, but was it worth it?:D

2. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the other driver's perspective, you were intentionally causing grief by moving well below the speed limit. They probably have no idea what hypermiling is and are just angry because you appear to be taunting them. Return to your very reasonable rule and everyone will be happier.

2 people like this.
  3. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go you!!!!!:cheer2:

2 people like this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When there are two lanes of traffic, I am more interested in myself and less interested in those who choose to not go around. There have been many a times when only I and my tailgater are driving along the multi-lane road.

However, keep in mind that the Prius will run on battery up into the 40s MPH. Don't be afraid to push it.

2 people like this.
  5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hypermile in secret, it's more fun when you treat it like sex. (do it when no one else is around)

4 people like this.
  6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On a two lane road and up hill doing 22 in 30, you are just asking for it blocking the traffic. The hypermiling session is over when some one is at your as* and cannot pass you.

1 person likes this.
  7. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That makes me laugh :)

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't 'hypermile' but I do drive efficiently:

• '30 in a 30 on a two-lane' - no problem although with our ZVW30, there is no significant loss of mileage at 35.
    • 'crested the hill at 22 mph' - did you turn on the emergency flashers? If you are going to be a rolling roadblock, let the drivers behind you know what is going on. That way they can use maximum throttle to pass you going up the hill and completely wipe out the gas you saved.
    • 'long signal to warn of my impending turn' - suggests you needed to turn off sooner. This means mapping alternative routes to your destination that avoids following traffic.
    For example, this is my map between work and home: [​IMG]
    I have warm-up and cool-down sections that cut through the 25 mph posted, neighborhood or 30-40 mph, multilane segments. In one case, I take a short cut so my total distance is less and I save beaucoups fuel. So all it takes is finding alternate routes on a 'road less travelled.' When it is unavoidable, turn on the emergency flashers and pull on the shoulder and let the traffic pass.​
    • 'the trucklet driver blew his horn at me' - only because what he wanted to say was far worse. But you've made another Prius enemy, pissed off another driver by 'hypermiling' in public. Like Pat said, it should be handled like sex, in private.
    Efficient driving means accomplishing the same journey but in a way that does not deliberately piss off other drivers or worse, induce them to burn more gas than you have saved. It means spotting 'transparent' opportunities and using these opportunities versus "f*ck the other drivers" and driving like a ... someone who does not drive efficiently.

Bob Wilson

4 people like this.
  9. Guy in WNY

Guy in WNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Personally, for ME to have sex correctly, there MUST be someone else around! It's just no fun by myself anymore!:cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  10. Old Drum

Old Drum New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let's not forget Woody Allen's observation in Annie Hall: "Don't knock masturbation. At least it is sex with someone you love.

11. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try hyper-miling in a big city and you could be asking for more than a honk. I now break the law on almost every left turn: You're supposed to stay in the leftmost lane after the turn is executed. Now (if I don't see a cop) I immediately turn left into the right-hand lane allowing others turning behind me to instantly pass me on the left.

As far as other surface-street driving, I now stay mostly in far right lane and come up to the speed limit with reasonable albeit slower accelaration. Most other drivers understand, but I get many who zoom past me in the left lane. Ha ha, I catch up to them at the next light!

1 person likes this.
  12. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    While 22 is below the speed limit of 30, it doesn't seem excessively slow, and certainly not for an uphill section. I don't know where we've gotten this idea that the only acceptable speed is the speed limit or greater.

If there are two lanes and it's available for passing, they can pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: For some perspective, minimum speed on most highways is 40 mph, and the speed limit is 55 mph (can be as high as 70!). That's 73%, the same disparity we're talking about here.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're not alone. You're with your 2nd wife: your Prius-wife. Just be sure to clean up after your done.

14. Smirv

Smirv AkA: Ryan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the expertise in hypermiling, IMO, is being able to do it without disrupting traffic. Utilize hills, stoplights, stop signs, vehicles turning, vehicles braking, etc.

2 people like this.
  15. gdbelden

gdbelden Gator Hator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    22 in a 35 IS escessively slow....
    If you drove 40 in a 55 mph zone, it would be down right dangerous. You would just get run over...

I agree, if there are multiple lanes in each direction and as long as traffic will allow passing, drive how you want, but if it is a single lane, or passing is not possible, drive the speed of the traffic

16. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Two lane road means one lane going up hill and one lane down. Typical hilly road is winding and very short straight section, it alway have double yellow lines. Who would risk to cross double yellow lines to pass a slow car in front.

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sometimes, I wish I had a bumper sticker that reads [this IS the slow lane]

1 person likes this.
  18. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Smirv got it right: hypermiling is about 360 degree awareness
    and no distractions, all the time, and figuring the dynamics
    of what's going to happen in the next five, ten, thirty seconds
    or whatever the appropriate timeframe is.
    65 MPH in the right lane of two or three and the truck is *still*
    on my nice person -- figure *that* one out. Before his safety manager
    does, that is.
    _H*

1 person likes this.
  19. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob nailed it on the head. I can get high 40s-low 50s by just driving the car. It's unfortunate perspectives, such as the OP's, which actually gave me the greatest pause when considering the Prius. Instead of the car appearing to be a beacon of efficiency and environmental awareness, actions such as these have turned the car into a rolling stigma.

20. Downrange

Downrange Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Ehh, let 'em burn. It's your car, and, while I try not to cause problems with hyper-miling, even using POWER to pulse up a hill, I absolutely do not care what they think - I've put up with plenty of slow drivers before, and this car actually gives feedback in real time about what your driving style results in, good or bad. I figure I've had my turns in the barrel before, simmering behind slow drivers and following gravel trucks up mountains. it's my turn to be the one holding THEM up.
    But only when they have a chance to pass.
    What I'm really waiting for is for gas to hit 4.00/gallon again. Can't wait. That will be sweet, watching those V8 Jeeps and SUVs jockeying for a car length's lead, lol. Ninety percent of the time you catch 'em at the next light.
    Actually, I hope we see 6.00/gallon - get some of these yay-hoos off the road so I can enjoy it. I actually plan routes now around avoiding high-speed sections and, most important, avoiding elevation changes where possible. I've found I can get 55-60 just by driving smart, and being prepared to spend an extra 10 per cent of time to get there. It's worth it, usually.