1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Miser question - better to run A/C and fan low, or vent and fan hi?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GaryGarland, Sep 12, 2009.

1. GaryGarland

GaryGarland New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    I was wondering, on those warm overcast days, are you better off (using less electric) if you run the vent with a high fan, or the A/C and the vent fan low or lower? Obviously, if the sun is baking you into a raisin you'll rent the A/C and the vent...
    I know there were mythbusters episodes which showed a typical car's A/C usage affected mpg about the same as no a/c but the windows wide open at 35 mph because of wind resistance - just wondering the most efficient way to go (comfort notwithstanding).
    Does anyone know if the use of the A/C will cause the ICE to run more than for anything else that draws the same amount of current? (i.e. is there a bias to run the ICE because the A/C is on, versus the ICE running merely when the battery is getting low? i do believe there is a bias to run the ICE in the winter to get the heat going - wonder why there is no electrical heat?)
    Many thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fan takes relatively little power compared to the AC compressor. So, if you can tolerate operating the car without the AC that will save some power.

However, keep in mind that the traction battery needs relatively cool air from the passenger compartment to keep itself cool.

I am not aware that there's any particular bias towards running the engine just because the AC is on. The engine will run when the traction battery needs to be charged up. Classic owners will note that the engine will run whenever the AC compressor needs to run since the compressor is belt-driven off the crankshaft pulley.

The Prius heater core is supplemented by a couple of PTC electric heaters. However I recall that the two electric heaters consume around 600W. So, this is like 40% of a hair dryer trying to warm up the passenger compartment until the gas engine heats up.

3. GaryGarland

GaryGarland New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I figured fan low would pull a lot less than fan hi so didn't know the breakeven like fan at 6, if that was equal to a/c and fan at 1, etc - thanks again

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    When I've run higher blower speeds it has been my experience that the ICE won't shut off in idle conditions (stopped at lights.) So I tend to run the AC on blower setting #2 when I need AC. The ICE is more prone to shut down normally with this setting. Of course, the summer heat here isn't scorching so I can get away with the low blower setting.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I prefer the AC on manual & fan speed as low as possible for comfort, usually the 1st or 2nd button. If the ICE isn't up to temp then it will run at a stop. This will happen only at the 1st light or stop sign.

While you are looking to optimize FE also inflate the tires & block the grill.

3 pips to go on this tank which includes a trip to NYC--58mpg (MFD).

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've never seen a MPG hit from the A/C, but I've never seen temps. above about 36C either. I'm sure it's there, just not big enough to repeatedly measure.

I've proven the Mythbusters are not entirely correct. Both the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD) and Pearl have significantly more drag with the side windows open than with the A/C on. Both vehicles state the same thing in the owners manual so I'm pretty confident it's correct after my testing. They didn't address using the "vent" rather than an open window.

The fan draws much less power than the A/C compressor, even the Prius one.

7. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did have a horrible AC hit when it was in the mid 90's here, very sticky, and I was stuck driving short stop and go with family in the car. I couldn't use my normal low blower setting. I've never seen a 5 minute bar that low...think it was about 15 mpg--way worse than midwinter at about 10 F when I still get 25 mpg for the first five minutes with grills blocked. A few miles of that and the average for the tank was shot even though it had about 300 miles on it @ ~53 mpg.

At very low speeds (mall traffic and lights) AC or heater operation can murder your mileage.

On the other hand, at interstate speeds the AC has little impact with my conservative blower settings. I ran the AC all the way home across the state at 72 mph and still managed 51 mpg, and that isn't the first time.