1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Misfire Cylinder#3 (Help!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Kris_Parker, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Kris_Parker

Kris_Parker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good evening! I have 2005 prius with 260k miles on it. About 2 months ago I had an engine replacement with used one that had about 180k on it, everything was okay until now. Few days ago the car has started to shake when I accelerate, and the more I accelerate the more the car starts to shake. No shaking when I remove my leg from gas pedal. I pulled Techstream, no codes, no misfire. I checked spark plugs and the coils (looks good), I cleaned the MAF sensor and throttle body. Drove for a few miles and the shaking was still there. Next what I did is replaced a fuel injectors with a new ones that I got from Amazon. It got better, but now I was able to feel the misfire more clearly + I was able to pull P0303 (Misfire Cylinder#3). I put a new spark plug and a new coil for 3rd cylinder, didn't helped. To make sure that the new spark plugs is not the problem I switched #3 with #1, both coil and spark plugs. The monitor shows me that the problem with the 3rd cylinder but I'm stuck and don't know what to do.

2. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is a link to pictures from Techstream.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now remove the third cylinder spark plug put your nose down in that hole You smell coolant You know what coolant smells like? There are test kits you can get the screw something in the spark plug hole and all of that make the cylinder go up and down a few times and it'll turn green or yellow or whatever but just the smell being present in the cylinder should give you enough of a idea and then you can look in the cylinder with a small inspection camera maybe see the droplets usually you can see microfine droplets on the plug when you remove it.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Drop the oil pan and look to see if there are any piston skirt pieces there.

5. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean, I have to drain the oil first and then take the whole thing apart, so I can take a look if there is any piston pieces? Just to make sure you're talking about this, right?

6. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll do that tomorrow.

Now when you mention it, the coolant for inverter was a little bit low, so I filled it and that's was a day before it's started to shake. Once again, if it's going to smell in 3rd cylinder what would that mean? A head gasket?

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First, before I started tearing things up, I'd verify I actually replaced #3 spark plug, not #2. Depends based on which side of the engine you started counting from. Sounds crazy, but it happens......#1 is the passenger side. What plugs are you using?

The inverter coolant loop is isolated from the engine coolant loop. It's very unlikely to be related.

Have you actually verified whether #3 spark plug is sparking?

Keep it basic. It takes air, fuel and correctly timed ignition to make it happen. One of those is not right.

8. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If I stay right in front of the engine, and I have passenger side on my left and driver side on my right, then I count from left #1, #2, #3, #4. So, I suppose i replaced the right spark plug. I have Iridiuim BK5REIX-11 from a replacement kit (I'll get the link tomorrow).

'Have you actually verified whether #3 spark plug is sparking?'

After the replacement, what I did in order to make sure that the spark plug is working, I swapped #1 and #3, first only spark plug, and then the coil. Run another test, the monitor point to the cylinder #3 regardless of what I do.

The car itself is driving, it gets a normal mpg of 45-48. But because of this misfire that happens time to time I can't feel safe and I want to fix it.

9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bet if you run through a tank of gas or two like this that mileage will go down substantially If not then you have a very mild misfire I have this going on in an '09 and I can't even detect it It's telling me cylinder 1 is misfiring obviously intermittently. But yes it sounds like the fire is getting put out look down there with a small inspection camera or when you pull the plug if you're looking carefully with a magnifying glass and you see a lot of little droplets on the part of the plug that is sitting in the cylinder and that's a good indication take your finger touch those droplets touch them to your tongue they taste like ethylene glycol and there you go this is kind of rare in the one NZ. But any engine can have a head gasket leak that is a fact.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why not put Denso SK16R11s in it? Those are the OEM recommended Denso model. They've cleared up misfire problems on some of the Gen 2s I've purchased. They're available from Rock auto for about $6 each.

The plug you're using is a heat range 5 the SK is a 16.

From NGK website:
    A hotter heat range spark plug has an insulator design with a longer heat flow path to the metal shell of the plug. As a result, more heat stays in the ceramic firing end and less is dissipated to the engine. A colder heat range spark plug has an insulator design with a shorter heat flow path to the metal shell of the plug. As a result, less heat stays in the ceramic firing end and more is dissipated to the engine. For a spark plug to function properly, it must have a tip temperature high enough to burn off carbon deposits (self-cleaning) and avoid fouling, while remaining low enough to avoid overheating the ceramic firing end and pre-ignition.

11. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So, you would recommend to try and replace the new spark plug with Denso SK16R11?

What I don't understand is, I put a new spark plug and a new coil into cylinder #3 and I kept getting misfire on the same cylinder #3. Then, I swapped a coil and a spark plug from #3 with #1, so I had OEM coil and spark plug from different cylinder, but the misfire is still in the 3rd cylinder. How that's possible?

Would MMO / Marvel Mystery Oil do any good? I saw someone recommend to try and use it in some other thread.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that is what I meant.

You could just drain the oil and look for sparkly pieces of debris that could pass through the drain hole. If you see such, you could drop the pan to investigate further. With the pan off you can get a proper look at the pistons and connecting rods.

I guess you could use a borescope through the drain hole rather than drop the pan.

13. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, here is an update:

I went to the shop were I did an engine replacement about 2,5 month ago. The warranty that I had was only for 60 days, so it didn't covered anything. After a diagnostic, it turns out that shaking and engine misfire is two separate problems. The problem with shaking was cause by bad CV Joint (Axle) on passenger side and that's what I'm going to replace. Now the funny thing is that all this time, I was thinking that the shaking was cause by the engine and not by the chassis. When I scanned and had zero codes related to the misfire, that maybe was the case. But after I started to mess with the engine and trying to fix the misfire that didn't even cause the shaking in the first place, it got worse. If a week ago when I had only shaking because of the Axle, the misfire was so light that it was hard to detect anything, but it got really worse. Now I have a misfire on 3rd cylinder for sure. The guy who did the inspection told me that I have a problem with a head gasket, or a cylinder head, and that the air getting sucked from somewhere or something like that. He did a compression test and and the results were at 8 (around 115 psi), saying that the average is 12 and mine is very terrible. Later I did my own compression test and I got 7-7.5 (100-105 psi) for all of them. The other cars that I had (also prius), all had similar results in the past, so this guy is just saying a bullshit. I don't know how he was able to understand that the problem in head gasket, and were the air leak is, but it just hard to believe when they want me to spend another 2 grand for the engine that I did 2 month ago.

@dolj, @TMR-JWAP, @Tombukt2 can you recommend anything at this point? I guess I will try to go to another shop and see what they have to say. Btw, my MPG is still 45-48 after another 100 miles.

14. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I guess now can you see the axle causing the problem if you jack up the car on the side that has the bad axle with that wheel off the ground you should be able to wiggle the wheel assembly while it's bolted to the car and here's some clanking and clunking and carrying on or they showed you this damage while it was up in the air and they moved the wheel around and you saw the clunk clunk? If that's the case usually just replace the axle shaft they're cheap enough now there's no reason it has to be a factory one from the Toyota dealer that's absolutely ridiculous half shafts now I've been around 40-50 years so there's nothing nothing special about it there's a place in most towns that redo half shafts and CV joints and all that or your next town over or what have you nothing special need to be applied here for that get a shaft put the whole shaft in it's much easier on your life cost is about the same believe me

15. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did checked the Axle a few times on my own, and never heard any sound coming when I wiggle the wheel. Also the auto shop were I went to do the wheel bearing told me that the axle is fine, and that's why I didn't suspect it until now. I suppose it may just shifted after that one time when I hit front bumper. Anyway, I will replace it.

My concern right is more about the misfire that I'm getting. Right now I want to try and use techstream to check the voltage for injectors and coils, because maybe some wire is broken and the spark plug or fuel injector doesn't work because it simple didn't get the 'command'.

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just pull the spark plug out and that number 3 cylinder and smell Do you smell coolant coming out of that spark plug hole have your buddy use a large ratchet and turn the crankshaft round and round just by hand that'll push enough air out of that cylinder you'll smell it immediately if it's there and if it is well you found your problem I don't care what voltage is your injectors have or any of that If you smell that cooling in that cylinder some coolant is getting in there trying to put out the fire and that's not good eventually that will lead to a bent rod and a cracked center section I have them sitting here in the yard to show people but anyway that's what I would do at this point because I can immediately know in my yard with a spark plug wrench.

17. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no smell of coolant in third cylinder. The coolant in both reservoir is full.

18. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is the injector 3 o ring installed correctly? Have you checked valve clearance on cylinder 3? Is injector wiring harness intact?

I think it is time to do a leak down test and troubleshoot for engine mechanical damage.

19. Kris_Parker

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, after more than a month I can finally make an update on how I fixed my problem. Long story short, the misfire and the shaking is two different problems. The misfire was cause by non OEM fuel injectors that I have replaced, and after placing original part back, the misfire was gone, but the shaking was still there. I tried to replace an engine mount (no luck), I tried to swap all 4 wheels from a different prius (no luck as well), after that I went to another shop just to get to know that my problem is CV-joint, but not from the passenger side that I have already replaced because the other shop told me (and charged me 75$ for diagnostic), turns out the driver side CV-joint was the problem. After replacing that the shaking was gone. Many lessons have being learned during this month, but I will never going to that shop once again. Sadly there is a lot of unprofessional shops that don't know what they talk about.

Aegean likes this.
  20. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I've often thought about the injectors on the 2013 persona but they look reasonable they're the blue colored ones and I have no reason to believe that anything's wrong with them because the engine up until failure was running beautifully You know no missing no funny business then all of a sudden missing and funny business and quickly after that broken rod failed rod whatever I had no shaking and none of that business the car drove straight as an arrow handled like a dream no problems no breaks no drive axles nothing a boring car actually like it should be a generation two is so boring to drive because nothing ever happens generally speaking when the red triangle or a set of lights comes on it's like you're going to the circus something's happening finally you know with the generation 3 it seems like you're going to the circus once a week That's always something It seems to never end for the car that the Prius is based on which is the most popular selling car on the planet the Toyota Corolla etc The generation 3 is a complete letdown basically where the two was an equal to the Corolla or possibly a step up depending upon how you look at things in life but the generation 3 to us has been a complete and utter failure if you will. But that's just to us If other people are enjoying life and having a good time well then so be it.