1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Missing midrange tones after installing Kappa speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by egumpher, Apr 16, 2006.

1. egumpher

egumpher New Member

Hello All,

I replaced the rear speakers with Infinity Kappa Series 62.7i, 6 ½†two-way loudspeakers and the front door speakers with Infinity Kappa Series 60.7cs 6 ½†two-way component speakers as recommended by Sparky and recently noticed that I seem to be missing midrange tones. I own a 04 Prius with the standard sound system. I replaced the original speaker with Kappa 62.7i (rear) and 60.7cs(front) by following Sparky's instruction for the rear speakers and another installation manual that I read on-line for the front. The original front tweater had a capacitor with lines that passed through the speaker to the wooders in the door. I ran the front system supply from the tweater input down to the Kappa crossover then from the crossover to both woofer and tweater.

I mostly listen to my CD collection. I suspected a loss of midrange tone listening to my CDs but recently I was listening to a radio station playing classic rock that I grew-up with and noticed that many instruments where missing. For example the Who's "Eminance Front" was missing Pete Townsend's "Da----Da-Da----Da" guitar riff.

How can I check whether I installed something wrong or if I need to install an equalizer or something to help.

Best regards and thank you for your help.
    Eric

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Without more information (like a wiring diagram), it's difficult to offer useful suggestions.

It sounds to me like a wiring problem. You said "I ran the front system supply from the tweater input down to the Kappa crossover..." Does this mean you took the wires originally going to the tweeter and ran them to the new crossover? My first thought is that perhaps the wires at the tweeter have already been through a crossover. But then you wouldn't get any bass.

The loss of mids also sounds like what happens when you wire a speaker between both channel "hot" terminals, and not from hot to ground. You get complete cancellation of all center-panned information (like vocals and prominent instruments), but you get only the stuff panned right or left. This is how cheap center-channel speakers work.

Other thoughts are an incorrectly wired crossover. Again, I'm just guessing at all of this from here.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also check to make sure you have the wiring going to the right terminals (positive to positive, neg to neg), you might have a speaker that's running out of phase and cancelling the other.

4. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 16 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]240585[/snapback]</div>
    I second that! It sounds exactly like a phase-cancellation issue. Recheck the polarity of your wiring. ;)

5. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You've done the right thing by tapping in at the tweeter's input....that should be full range signal coming from the factory head unit. Colors are strange if I recall, i.e. what's positive on one side is negative on the other. I checked polarity (before wiring up my component crossovers) by "popping" the factory door speakers (not tweeter) with a little 9-volt battery....if you touch battery + to speaker + and battery - to speaker -, the woofer cone should pop in the outward direction (vise-versa if you've got it wrong).
    This ought to confirm what's what.......I agree with the others, sounds like you might be out of phase.

6. egumpher

egumpher New Member

I would like to than everyone who replied with a suggestion.......thank you.

I found the problem. Nothing was wired wrong but instead someone changed the a audio setting on to full bass and full trebble..............I am sorry that I didn't check this first..............apperently it created a "U" shaped frequency curve....

After experiencing how the bass/trebble influence the system's sound I am thinking about adding an equalizer to the CD pocket below the stereo.

Thanks Again
    Eric

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Apr 17 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]241054[/snapback]</div>

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    D'oh!

Glad it was that easy!