1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Missing rear wiper: a safety issue?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by E-GINO, Aug 5, 2017.

1. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius Prime should be in my hands on late September. I've just realized that the Prime has no rear wiper... it will be the first non-sedan car owned by me missing the rear wiper.
    I am not happy about that: there are circumstances in which the rear wiper may be crucial for the safety, and no camera nor parking sensors can help, like for instance reversing under heavy rain.
    Do any of you owners experienced situations in which you seriously felt the rear wiper lack?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. I have owned quite few non-sedan cars equipped with rear wipers, including my previous Gen3 prius. I never used rear wiper on Gen3 in 3 years I drove it. We live in snow country, but still felt no need for rear wiper while driving. If you are moving forward, rain, snow, or mud will not mar your rear window. Only time I used it was when snowing and the car has parked for a while and accumulated on the window.

3. dalcon95

dalcon95 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I thought it would be an issue, but it really hasn't for me. One thing I decided to do to help prevent it from being an issue is put Rain-X or something equivalent to it. Rain will just slide off.

#1 in Easley,SC

Silent Propulsion and Mark57 like this.
  4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never once used the rear wiper on my 2010. It just gets in the way of using the squeegee.

srellim234, Bri-n-TX and dalcon95 like this.
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    NO. The vast majority of vehicles do not have rear wipers.
    IF.....conditions are such that you can not back up safely........don't do that.
    Give it a rest.

priuscatprimeguy and dalcon95 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are a few occasions where i have used the rear wiper in 12 years, but i think i would miss it just for those few. it's usually a light coating of snow at low speeds, that the heated glass won't keep clear.

priuscatprimeguy and dalcon95 like this.
  7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it is a safety issue to the point that I wrote to Toyota and told them that I need a way to make the backup camera active while the car is in forward motion to help compensate for the lack of a wiper. I have already had situations where I couldn't see behind myself at all using any means because blowing snow accumulated on the rear window and both side mirrors. I used my rear wiper in my 2004 hundreds of times a year.

#7 Lee Jay, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    E-GINO likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The curved glass funnels snow & rain. So at high speed, you're fine. At low speed, you'd be stuck like the latest sedans if it wasn't for the secondary (lower) window.

It would be nice for the camera to be available though.

bwilson4web and dalcon95 like this.
  9. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I first received my Prime I found myself trying to turn on the rear wiper:LOL:. Since then I have broken my self of that habit.:D

joachimz and dalcon95 like this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This has been my experience too. The spoiler overhang keeps that window clean and clear:
    [​IMG]
    The upper left of this picture captures part of what it looks like.

Another view:
    [​IMG]

Bob Wilson

dalcon95 and john1701a like this.
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm....
    Both my previous Prius, and now my Honda Fit both had/have a rear windshield wiper.
    I think they CAN help. Just like with any wiper. If you look back and the rear window has become obscured by either dirt or unexpected bird bombings....then you can wipe away and at least on the move get it clear again. That is helpful.

That being said? If the vehicle is NOT equipped with a rear wiper, I wouldn't call that a deal breaker. Even with a rear wiper my normal protocol is to be attentive to just keeping the rear window clean.
    The easiest way to me is to keep a shower squeege and whatever tightly sealed-non-leaking window cleaner you like in your vehicle. I personally just carry a small-in case it does leak-squirt bottle of distilled water. Then I just never let the window get too bad. As presented, Rain-X treatments can help make this an easier task. This reduces the actual usage of the rear windshield wiper to on the fly, emergency situations where for whatever reason the windshield might get suddenly obscured.

A side benefit to small squirt bottle of distilled water IS that you can also use it in emergencies if anything toxic get's on your paint.
    A small squirt bottle of distilled water, a squeege for the windows and some micro-fiber towels are all essentials I carry at all times within my vehicle.

I use those much more often than I actually use the rear wiper.

I live where it rains quite a bit, and over the years have become a fan of using Rain-X.
    I kind of go with a preventative approach. Keep my windshields as clean as possible, and treated to prevent a lot of build up.

PS.
    With my Prius? That second window below the top rear windshield, got dirty a lot...quickly. I would often approach the Prius, notice it was dirty, simply open the hatch, grab the squirt bottle and squeege and in about 5 seconds have it cleaned off. It was actually pretty easy to maintain, even if I had to do it quite often.

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Because of the lack of a rear wiper, I recently purchased a folding squeegee.

However, that's not a solution when snow accumulates on your car while you are in motion.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've had a small squeegee in my Prius for years. That's how I clean my side windows.

It tucks in nicely on the side of the driver's seat.

14. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    if there's snow on my Prime I use this........

[​IMG]

Mark57 and joachimz like this.
  15. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Of course iy gets to be a little difficult when the extension cord is only 25 feet long.:eek: I don't get very far when I'm driving in the snow:cry:

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Works with cold, dry snow, doesn't work AT ALL with heavy wet snow.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  17. priuscatprimeguy

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yup, and there's that too:notworthy:

18. E-GINO

E-GINO Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In my former Prius Gen 3, the backup camera was useless with heavy rain, the image became quickly fuzzy due to rain drops and dirt, therefore during reverse the activation of the rear wiper was the only way to have a clue of what was behind my car... some cars during reverse when the front wipers are set in motion activate also automatically the rear one, I always found it as a feature improving the safety.

However, I understand that Toyota did not put a rear wiper on the Prime due to the curved glass design. I think that the repellent is a good idea, I've been using it on the winshield for years, I'll put on the Prime hatchback glass too.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  19. MattStevenson

MattStevenson Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just put snow tires on during the winter and drive faster

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  20. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Can you plug that electric leaf blower into your 12v DC/120v AC inverter? That would make it a great car accessory for the Prime.

Also, I've Rain-X'd the back hatch window twice now and can't tell the difference in water repulsion.