1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mister MMT at the border between Germany and France

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mister MMT, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I decided to register since I wish to participate in some of the ongoing discussions around the Priusc. Speaking Dutch, French, English and German fluently, and reading Spanish, I try to get information on my preferrred topics from where I can. I read/write international and local news, computer and car Forums. My job is in fundamental cancer research and I teach cell biology at a French University.

I am waiting to decide whether to buy a new hybrid as second car or a used one until the Yaris Hybrid is available in Europe. In the mean time, I read all the posts and road tests about the Prius c/Aqua and I enjoy reading the excitement about this nice car. I already have tested extensively the Auris HSD with the same drive train as the Prius hatchback, but I do not like too much this car and my wife did not appreciate at all what she called the non-responsiveness of the PSD system. I like the Prius 2 but its basics are now a bit aged to be really interested.

This URL shows the car I drive at present. Do not mind the German (or use a translator), the pictures are self-explaining. It's a Toyota Avensis petrol with a 4AT. I equipped it to run on LPG, which costs less then half the price of petrol. I bought it used four years ago and since then, I've been using it for 80,000 km without significant problems except for the headlamps that were replaced. It totals 120,000 km and I intend to keep it another 80,000.

We also own a 1996 Toyota Picnic 4AT with 210,000 km which keeps serving without the slightest problem!

I commute to work which is a 20 km drive on flat roads with about 1/4 limited at 50 km/h (ideal for Electric mode). My driving style is well adapted. During mly test of an Auris Hybrid, I got 4.1 l/100 km (57 mpg) without problems.

So, I look forward to be here and learn more from other participants. I'll forward information on the Yaris Hybrid, since it seems there are interestinng differences with the Prius c.

Jan

parkerbol likes this.
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome

Interesting you have an Avensis petrol automatic. One of the guys I worked with had one and he only ever managed to get 25 mpg UK out of it, maybe 32 mpg UK on a run. My Prius will do about 50 mpg UK under the same conditions and on a run it will get 65-70 mpg with ease (more if I try). I'm not sure how this converts into litres/km.

LPG is about a third less than petrol costs over here but the cost of the conversion and loss of boot/trunk space for the lpg tank is too restrictive for me. Also, having an lpg conversion on your car can invalidate certain parts of your warranty and also causes problems with a number of insurance companies.

All of this makes it not a real consideration for me, especially as taxi insurance is expensive enough already. I guess it depends on which market you operate in depends whether a hybird makes sense or not. In the UK they do make more sense, which is why we're one of the biggest hybrid markets in Europe.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome:

4. Mister MMT

Mister MMT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hi GrumpyCabbie, I see we both post on TUC. Being from England, you know well the Avensis. My engine is the 1ZZ-FE 1.8 l. It is easy to consume a lot with this car, but if one drives it the same way as with a Prius, one gets 7.5 l/100 km (37 UK MPG or 32 US MPG), without being humped upon. On gas, this comes down to 8.5 l (33 UK MPG or 27.6 US MPG). Here is a useful calculator I use for converting. For the cost compared to petrol where I live, just double the MPGs! I in fact have the same fuel budget as with a Prius, but my Avensis break is both roomier cargo-wise and a tit more comfortable. The problem with LPG and Toyota engines is valve seat recession, which can be slowed down by avoiding high RPMs and using FlashLube. I monitor the valve clearance regularly and have minimal recession. On a taxi, I'd have no idea, and anyway, I would not doubt and use a Prius.

I agree that in countries with speed limitations and gongestion taxes, Hybrids make a lot of sense. In Holland, almost every Auris sold is a hybrid. In Germany, there is a real anti-hybrid campaign in the car press which will only change when finally VW will launch its Golf hybrid. I know a Jetta hybrid is planned for the US soon. Here, people want a lot of HP and mainly Diesels for fast highway-driving. Ever been driving on one? It's crazy...

Jan