1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mistook Gas for Brake (Dont worry I was in Park)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by macmaster05, Jan 30, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did something weird today:

While I was parked and the car was on. I stepped on the gas really hard to shift into D (while in park) thinking it was the brake. DOH! :eek: The car made 2 beeps and the car made a louder and louder whoosh sound (the prius version of a 'rev'). Unfortunately I did this TWICE.

Did I actually waste gas or ruin the transmission? Coming back the ride felt rough but this is probably all in my mind.

1 person likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Nope, the engine just revs a bit if you give it gas while in park. You did no damage.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Been there, done that myself. But only once, not twice. In my Honda, not the Prius. And mine was in gear.

That is part of the reason I believe that driver error, combined with floor mats, are a bigger cause of 'engine surges' than are mechanical and electrical faults in the car itself.

The instant I hit the clutch and pumped the 'brake', it became obvious what had happened. Had I been driving an auto transmission and followed the common advice to just keep pressing the 'brake', but more firmly, the result would have been much different.