1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Mitsubishi delays Outlander PHEV yet again for the US

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    poor hill.:(

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    bisco likes this.
  4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

At this rate, they will be coming with other phev CUV coming out soon. All advantage is gone.

I don't blame them though. Why sell here in the US probably discounted, when they can sell in Europe for max profit.

Hopefully Honda, GM, Merc, or Volvo will be ready next summer or fall.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. nothing is selling here right now, unless it consumes fossil fuels at enormous rates.

Tracksyde and iplug like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is where Toyota can step in.

They know SUVs are still selling strong (look at the RAV4 sales).

Come out with a RAV4 Prime, try to resist the temptation to price it too much up and over a RAV4 Hybrid and market it slightly differently. Yes the people who want the RAV4 V6 back won't buy a R4P but if they can balance it for power and fuel economy (and not just purely fuel economy like it is for the Prius), they might be able to steal some sales from people who are waiting for the Outlander PHEV. Right now, the R4h is almost a no compromise vehicle. It pretty much retains the cargo space (slight bump on one side), has AWD-i, high ground clearance (well, same as the gas version), it's faster to 60mph than the gas version and saves enough fuel to make it a consideration.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, your logic is crystal clear - & tons of others agree - so now all we need to do is convince toyota;

[​IMG]

Remember - despite over 400K handwaving $1,000 deposit holders, Toyota is sticking to their script, as stated by Toyota's advanced tech mouthpiece Craig (foot-in-mouth) Scott;
    Carmakers prepare to shift to hydrogen fuel cells - LA Times

yea, that poor slob will have his words etched on his gravestone - & those who come to pay homage - may very well arrive in the very transportation he refused to acknowledge folks want. They certainly won't arrive in the few hundred hydrogen vehicles they've managed to push on a few people & municipal agencies.
    But don't forget, even the RAV4 hybrid isn't really anything new. Toyota & Ford cross licensed this Tech many years ago - & what came of it in? Ford's SUV - the hybrid Escape.
    [​IMG] iirc over 65cu' of cargo space w/rear seats down. That means these little SUVs, which have grown progressively bigger, will have even more cargo & battery room.
    imo, Toyota's hydrogen tunnel vision has done nothing for them - other than constipate their plugin vehicle electrification. Let's cheer Toyota on as they play catch up.

#7 hill, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I am already waiting for Tesla Model Y to come out. Just need to drive the rav4ev out of extended warranty.

Which is coming first? Model Y or Rav4Phev?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a shame the outlander plugin in the USA is never any more than a bridesmaid - never the bride.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost every review said "what took (Toyota) so long?"

Also, Ford came up with their own hybrid system. You know this. You're a long time member.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    hang on now - Toyota & Ford's hybrids were similar enough that each other found their work similar enough to cross license. I believe we BOTH know that. AND, we both know that Alex Severinsky is estimated to get about $100 for each & every hybrid that BOTH Ford & Toyota manufacture, for impinging on Dr Severinsky's patent(s) . . . AND the suit stretched out to the old Nissan Altima too iirc.
    This was ~ 6 years ago . . . but I'm certain all us old timer remember
    :)
    This Man Fought Toyota For Stealing His Hybrid Tech And Won
    Once Ford threw in the towel . . . lo and behold Toyota finally stopped trying to wear down their plaintiff - because each of "their work" was so similar . . . . and similar to the good doctor's work.
    So . . . ringing any bells yet?
    And that's why my statement ... about the 2 company's hybrids being ... shall we say, VERY close cousins? ... and thus, not hardly a new thing.

#11 hill, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that I can agree on :)

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I followed the case closely and this is a case where the goal of patent law is in conflict with "obvious design." The original TRW patent, long expired, laid out the concept of the power split device. But in this case, the technical content granted was use of a microprocessor to manage the transmission. As such, every computer controlled transmission would (or should) have been at risk.

The goal of patent law is to get new technology into the market place with fair compensation for the original inventor. But there has never been resolution of 'parallel development.' But in this case, the use of microcontrollers to manage electro-mechanical systems, that is so obvious.

Toyota has paid a lot of what I consider to be bogus legal fees and court cases over the years. Not that all of them have been without merit. But they had an unfaithful lawyer and marginal suits. Still one good thing came out.

Tesla has fully instrumented every car and everyone knows it. The old "Top Gear" got stung first but escaped slander because they said,"We are clowns and everyone knows it!" Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla gets and uses the data for effective defense ... defensive engineering.

One of the untaught lessons learned in my career:
    • Practice defensive engineering
    • Paper work cuts both ways
    • Read the HR rule books at least once
    Bob Wilson

bisco, hill and telmo744 like this.