1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mitsubishi i MiEV First Impressions

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven a variety of low-speed electric vehicles, and frankly none of them have imparted automotive characteristics any better than those supplied by a golf cart or the bumper cars we so fondly remember ramming into each other at the fair. Today that changed.

What did I drive?
    I had the rare opportunity to drive a highway-capable fully electric vehicle that is in every sense of the word, a "car." Mitsubishi's i MiEV is an electrically-powered version of the Mitsubishi i, which is a Japanese kei-class vehicle, meaning it must meet certain diminutive dimensions and not be powered by anything larger than a 660-cc engine.

Mitsubishi engineers removed the i's gas engine and replaced it with a cutting-edge highly sophisticated battery system and electric motor to create the i MiEV, which is short for, Mitsubishi Innovative Electric Vehicle. The result is a maintenance-free plug-in electrically powered four-door vehicle capable of keeping up with traffic in town and in the country

Full Article

3 people like this.
  2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tideland Prius,

Thanks for the post, I'm watching this car closely.

Now you're talkin'.

I guess the sporty 2-door version, the "Sport Air" is still a ways off yet.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you're welcome.

4. MUPAUL

MUPAUL 55 MPG Average

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting. But for me a 100 mile range doesn't do it. The idea of the volt, with the ability to recharge the battery, is something that appeals to me. The 100 mile range is fine for all but maybe 40 days a year for me. However, I don't want to have two cars, with one just for those 40 days where I need to go over 100 miles and I don't want to have the expense of renting a car. But I would love a small electric car, since this is all that I need for 300 plus days a year.

In order to appeal to the masses, there has to be a system for quick charging or an engine to recharge the battery, in my opinion, as most Americans will want to be able to go greater distances without having to own a second car. I hope the Volt type of technology/concept doesn't get ignored and that Toyota or Honda develop a system with unlimted range, but with battery only for 50 miles or more. If feasible, I like this concept better than a straight hybrid.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I want one!

Does anyone has spec on it? Curb Weight, tire width, price, etc?

6. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The average household in America has 2.24 cars. Having one limited to 100 miles range should not be a problem for the majority of people. The problem is perception of being limited.

Per the article the MiEV recharges in 14 hours from a standard household socket or in 30 minutes from a quick charger.

I actually like renting cars. I used to travel quite a bit for my job and I liked being able to drive different cars from different manufacturers. Since most of my travel was to Europe I always tried to rent a car that wasn't available in the US.

Locally I rent through Enterprise. They will come pick you up so it makes it pretty convenient. I used them twice when I needed to rent a truck and once to rent a Cadillac CTS for a business trip.

EDIT: A car like the MiEV is exactly what I would like to buy. My ideal electric car would have a range between 60 and 100 miles. Any more range and I would just be wasting money for range that I would very rarely use. I hope to be able to buy a EV when it comes time to replace one of our cars. (My wife and I have 2 cars, 4 motorcycles, and 4 bicycles so we are not lacking in personal transportation options)

7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As I see it, The small EV car makers have a serious perception
    problem vis-avis their advertised range typically under 100 miles. To
    many, perhaps most, Americans it "looks" like a problem even though
    it may not be. However, for some, an EV just won't work. It's new
    technology that requires a whole new "what do I really need"
    algorithm.

I do not understand why more actual/potential EV makers are not
    talking about OEM range extenders like an add on battery pack.
    (I believe Tesla does offer different battery packs. But... ) OK,
    it's going to be pretty heavy, like ~200+ lbs. So big deal, put it on a
    trailer...

Better yet, how about a small, highly efficient generator with a
    smallish battery on a trailer. Just plug and go, and go, and go...
    stopping as necessary to fuel the generator. Without much trouble, the
    generator could also be configured to be used as an emergency home
    electrical supply.

Now you're talkin'; a two-fer!

Check out this nifty unit:

http://www.evalbum.com/2312

A bit pricey, but then, it's a one-off.

9. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anything that requires a trailer is dead on arrival. Simply put, the majority of Americans can't back up a trailer.

I do think several EV range options is a great idea. I hope GM does something similar with the volt. Maybe EV only range of 10, 20, 30, and 40 miles. That way a buyer could taylor the battery pack to their usage and control the upfront costs.

Realistically if you have a PHEV you want to use the engine for environmental and practical reasons:
    • Environmentally, most PZEV's like the Prius only have enough volume in their fuel tanks to store fuel vapors for 3-5 days. If a car sits longer than this time period it starts venting raw hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. If the car is started those vapors are drawn into the engine and burned.
    • Practically gasoline has a short shelf life. Anyone that has a motorcycle, snowmobile, gas lawn mower or any other seasonal device with a gasoline engine knows that gasoline goes bad in storage. Untreated gasoline starts to thicken and gum up carburetors and fuel injectors after about 3 months.

10. SanZan

SanZan Junior Member

The cheapest, i.e., overnight, electricity in Japan is currently 11 yen a kWh. Most people don't have time-based meters so they pay 23 yen or so a kWh. Thats for the limited number of Japanese who have an outlet near where they park. This looks like a good car, but Mitsubishi may struggle to sell it domestically without subsidies.

11. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When are we going to get beyond "the one size needs to fit all" issue.
    The Chevy Suburban doesn't work for me at all, but Chevy has sold millions of them!

People who need one vehicle to provide 100% of their travel needs will not be buying an early EV.
    But as already pointed out, MOST families have 2+ cars and could easily fit this "limitation" into their driving habits (or addiction).

The MiEV has 80-100 mile range with 30 minute "quick charge".
    I want one!

12. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wrong - the iMIEV would be for the daily commute. Your "Other" car for weekends, longer trips, etc.

I want to replace my wife's 2006 Yaris with an iMIEV here in Montreal. I'm hoping there's adequate climate control for winter driving in sub-zero temperatures.

Instead of spending 15k$ or more upgrading the Prius to PHEV with a big range, getting the iMIEV instead.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    "In order to appeal to the masses" . . . . that phrase never stops amusing me. It's like being on the Titanic as it begins to sink. You have to get ready to jump into the freezing water. Someone reaches for a life preserver for you ... and you respond:

"you need to start drawing up blueprints for a space shuttle, because that's the best way to be rescued"

No my friend ... you need any kind of life preserver you can get your hands on ... but you don't know how bad the emergency is, so your response is stated accordingly. The days of "having to have" two tons of towing capacity, seating for 7 or 8, zero to 60 in 5 seconds, etc are not what the masses need. Look at the EU & Asia and you'll see that they are the masses, and they don't need all that.

14. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Here's today's latest info on this intriguing little EV.

"The car, a Japan-built ultracompact with a 330-volt lithium ion
    battery, is being road-tested in Oregon. Mitsubishi plans to begin
    marketing the car in Japan in July and to introduce it in Europe in 2010.
    The U.S. launch is tentatively scheduled to happen after Europe's...

:cheer2:

Mitsubishi electric plans: From show to go in U.S.

~$30K US price tag :mad: "after government subsidies are deducted." :confused:

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Psst! Here's my page from several weeks back when I drove the car:
    iMiEV

Includes my pictures, some specs and crappy video. This is a fantastic little car. Seriously. I was blown away as you can probably tell by my comments. I'm happy to answer any other questions that I can.

2 people like this.
  16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is still prototype (so no real specs just yet - just good guesses), though they are supposed to go on sale in Japan in MAY! They have not yet decided if they'll sell in the US though it appears more likely every day. Many changes (mostly safety) will have to be made. That will mean a larger, heavier car, unfortunately. Also please note that the US range is about 70 miles. 100 overseas on a different test. EPA is 70.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Darn, my one way distance to work is 42 miles. 84 miles round trip. I gotta beat the EPA if I don't charge it at work.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice video.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you don't have to use the freeway, you're probably golden. If you do - you'll want to charge at work for sure. Or move closer... 42 miles? Yuck.

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looks like a great commuter vehicle if they can get the price right. This could work well as a second vehicle for small families.

For short distances those rear seats make this vehicle much more practical than one would expect from such a diminutive package. This is really bad news for the Volt.

The 220V AC charging option should make it viable.

Wonder how it will cope with mid-winter and mid-summer?