1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mitsubishi introduces i minicar in Japan

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tokyo, Japan – Mitsubishi Motors has launched its new "i" minicar in Japan, in two- and four-wheel-drive models. The i uses a newly-developed platform with a rear-midship layout, which was also used for the Concept-CT series/parallel hybrid concept vehicle unveiled earlier this month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The i uses a new three-cylinder, 660 cc turbocharged engine that delivers 63 hp, coupled with a four-speed automatic transmission, and returns an estimated 5.4 L/100 km fuel economy, with emissions that are 50 per cent lower than the Japanese 2005 low-emission vehicle requirements. The midship platform allows the front wheels to be placed as far forward as possible, for a wheelbase of 2550 mm, substantially longer than in any minicar to date. The i retails for the equivalent of US$11,300 to US$14,000; the company is targeting sales of 5,000 units per month.

Source: CanadianDriver