1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mixing tires of different load/speed rating

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ulmas, Dec 24, 2018.

1. ulmas

ulmas New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    I have a pair of tires with 92V load/speed rating at about 80% tread left. The other two had to be discarded. I found a pair of tires from the same manufacturer, the same model, same size (R16), so the same tread as well. The only difference is that they are rated 91H, and at about 80-90% tread as well (they aren't new).

Should I be concerned about any issues if I purchase them and pair them with my existing 92V? I would assume as long as matching ratings on the same axes it should be no issues.

Any opinions on this matter are appreciated!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Keep it below 140mph and you should be ok. Even better if the tire circumferences are within 3% of each other so the VSC doesn’t trigger.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius v has a top speed of 103 MPH, so V vs H speed rates are not at risk.
    H = 130
    V = 149

91 vs 92 represents a 34 pound difference (per tire) in load they can holld up.

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually higher speed rating tires have stiffer sidewalls and will have to remain together on the same axle when rotated. Or bad handling and pulling may result. Generally high speed rating tires are the safest tire, Safe being relative to each tire, not simply max speed. It is likely that mpg will be slightly reduced with lower speed rarings which could have beem the determing factor for Toyota. There is also a concern that the 91H tires are a slightly lower load rating than the 92V. Would I do it? Yes if I had 80% left on my first two and I could find two more of the same brand with 80% left.

Raytheeagle likes this.