1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mo' Muscle!

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tag, Jan 10, 2005.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

DETROIT - Looking to feed Americans' appetites for heightened horsepower, Chrysler has harkened back to the muscle car days of the 1960s as inspiration for a new sporty sedan.

Know what? These people don't have one freakin' idea about what to do. I mean, they can't compete with the likes of Toyota or Honda in terms of quality or technology so they take old television shows the caliber of "Lavergne and Shirley" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" and make cars out of them. Geez!

LINK: Full Story

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The good news:
    Four of the eight cylinders will shut down when not required.

The bad news:
    Reviewers will call that a compromise and that feature will become an option not often purchased.

To each their own.
    I've worn my finger to a nub pointing out the insane.
    I've lost my voice yelling at the lunatics.
    I've lost my patience trying to teach the ignorant.

I'm sure that those who buy the new wave of muscle cars will thoroughly enjoy them.

3. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I don't think the cylinders shutting down is an option. Seems like a cool idea if it works well. Have your power when wanted/needed, cruise more effeciently.

woo hoo!

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There's nothing in the article to indicate that they are an option. Your right. I was driving to what I see as an end-result:
    1) Reviewers and enthusiasts will complain about the shutting down cylinders.
    2) Chrysler will be torn between replacing them with full-out 8s or keeping on the eco-friendly face.
    3) They will compromise by offering the full-out 8 in addition to the 8/4 efficiency.
    4) Enthusiasts will purchase more and more full-out 8s and the shutting down cylinders will constitute a very small percent of those sold.

Of course, that's just my speculation.

5. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

My opinion - I don't think reviewers will complain on principle. (Well, maybe those from ULTRAPOWERMAX or something).

I honestly don't remember, but I think the only way the Hemi comes is in shutdown. If so, it would take reengineering, so I would think that wouldn't be coming.

There is already a performance version at the autoshows. The power that thing puts out + shutdown would quite anyone.

6. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Displacement on demand will not be going away. The system is there to keep the cars out of the gas guzzler tax. The system that is being used in the Chrysler engines is based on an already proven MB design that is in use on some of their big V12 cars. MB's system is so smooth, that the driver cannot tell when it's in use.