1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mobil 1 vs. mobil 1 high mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fortheanimals, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fortheanimals

fortheanimals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anybody have any experience with mobil 1 high mileage 5w-30?

this is meant to be used in vehicles with 75,000+ on the odo.
    my '05 will be at about that for the next oil change.

last i checked, both the regular and high mileage versions were same price. would it really be any better to use the "age-appropriate" oil?

thanks in advance.

2. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't. A Prius @ 75k is like a normal car at 150k. Once your Prius hits 150k then consider it!

I run my oil changes at 10K with Mobil 1 the Purolator PL20195. I have Blackstone check it along with the TBN and everything's great!

Well worth it!

-Phil

3. fortheanimals

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

are there any disadvantages of using the high mileage oil?

what, in its constitution, aids an older engine better?

marketing ploy (considering it's all 5w-30)?

4. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Not exactly sure what the difference is but they have different additive packages and quanities. I use the Mobile 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy oil. Maybe they make that in 5W-30 or you can see if you can run 0W-20 oil in your Gen. II?

5. fortheanimals

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as far as i can tell, their label of "advance fuel economy" is just based on being a lower viscosity grade (such as being 0w-20 vs 5w-30). i imagine the "advance fuel eco" label is just that, a label. drivers have long known thinner oils to give better mpg, weather permitting. in my absolutely simple understanding of physics, that seems pretty obvious.

however, i don't know a thing about how a motor oil could be formulated to help an older engine better, considering it's the same mobil 1 synthetic and viscosity.

what about an older engine has different needs from an engine oil? if this high mileage oil is beneficial, why not use it on newer engines?

sorry, if i am being so clueless.

6. fortheanimals

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From their web page:

Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30

My opinion is that if you use the regular Mobil 1 or some other syn oil from when the car is new, you will probably never need the high mileage version. JMO.

8. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How 'bout "A Prius @ 150k is like a normal car at 75k?" I think, for a hybrid, the engine runs ~ half as much, not twice as much.[​IMG]

Also, if you look at Mobil 1's website, they say that if you use a good oil (e. g., Mobil 1) early in the engine's life, you don't need their high-mileage oil.

Hako and danboy like this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In the absence of further explanation from Mobil, I'd be inclined to dismiss their high mileage oil as a marketing ploy. There may be a benefit, but why aren't they explaining it more detail?

Also, not sure, but I think they offer two 0W20's, one touted as "Advanced Fuel Economy".

Actually, they have a pretty bewildering array of choices, think I'll stick with Toyota oil: at least in our area: readily available, and half the price.

10. newemi

newemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are so many varying charecteristics of oil and engine needs and how they react to each other, that it gets very difficult to over analyze things without working for nasa. But from my understanding: Many "high" mileage cars get increased blowby, that is increased oil passing by the piston rings. On any engine the rings will wear and this will occur at some point. On a prius the wear should talk a lot longer to see. I wouldn't switch to a high mileage oil unless your seeing significant oil use (that is after 3000 miles oil level falls by 1/2quart or more IMO). One thing that complicates the discussion is the characteristics of Synthetic Oil. It naturally has longer chemical chains (which gives it better life, however still need to change to remove contaminants), but at the same time the particals are smaller in size, which allow more oil to blow by the rings, thereby increasing oil use. For me, I envision changing from Syn to High Mileage Syn at 150-200k miles, followed by a change to Conventional oil at 250-300k. And yes I do plan on driving it that far.

Anybody else using the 0w30 Advanced Fuel Economy in their Gen2? Just got the car and gonna get it started on this.

1 person likes this.
  11. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind what this stuff is for: It is a way to stretch out the decline of a worn engine that has begun to burn oil or contaminate its oil sooner than when the car was in its prime. Before that unhappy day arrives, the specified oil offers better protection than a higher viscosity oil would!

I drive an `06 Civic that I bought new and it now has 176,000 mi. I have always used the specified Mobil 1, with changes at the recommended intervals—±7,500 mi. As yet, there is no oil life behavior change from when the car was young.

When my previous cars have gotten "geriatric," I came to regard premium motor oil as locking the barn after the horse has died. I went to higher viscosity oil—what Mobil 1 High Mileage is when all is said and done—which was also inexpensive.

What with the great resale values of fuel efficient cars, it is well simply to replace a car that is "going geriatric." (I hope my Civic will "hang in" until I get to sort out the Prius C.)

12. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not go straight to 0W-20? Several of us here are doing this. I got 10,000 miles with less than 1 qt of consumption on the last change. 80,000 miles on the car now.

13. fortheanimals

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my prius is 6 years old, and i only switched over to mobil 1 about a couple years (or about 4 oil changes) ago. before that it was basic oil from the dealership.

i haven't noticed any oil burn-off at all between changes. is measuring oil burn-off a good way to gauge engine health? i'm' kind of surprised to read that so many of you are experiencing it. is it normal or do i have a super healthy engine??

14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually they have regular M1 0w20 now.. there is a rumor they use different base and additional friction modifiers in Advance, not sure

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This article provides some guidance. The high mileage formulations typically include leak preventers and extra detergent additives.

What Makes High Mileage Motor Oil Different From Regular Motor Oil? | eHow.com

16. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did for one oil change - no significant difference between it and the M1 5w-30 EP that I typically use.

But, I live in So Cal (no cold weather to speak of) and my commutes are 33 miles 1 way, so almost all of my commute the engine is nice and warm. 0W means the oil is thinner cold than 5W, but, for my situation, the oil is never THAT cold, and almost always warmed up.