1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mobil Super Synthetic: Quality ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SageBrush, May 2, 2011.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This appears to be a new brand --- at least new to me.
    Until now I have pretty much picked any synthetic oil based on price if it was GF4 and ACEA 1,5 compliant. This oil is GF5 according to the Mobil product sheet,, but I cannot find mention of ACEA certification.

I'd like to hear the opinion of oil gurus if this oil makes the grade compared what I have been using. The price is right -- it currently costs $3.50 a qt at O'reilly stores.

Is GF5 a tighter/better spec than GF4 ? This marketing website says yes.
    Has ACEA been deprecated ?

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-20 is suitable for use in Honda and Toyota vehicles where a 0W-20 viscosity is required.

This sounds like a great choice for use in engines not known for premature wear/failure.

3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy Moly, Mobil has a bunch of 'protection' grades now. Whats a Prius person to do?

[​IMG]

5. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will keep buying the Advance Fuel Economy while it can be had for under 30$ for change (5qt + Mobil 1 filter). With 10K change intervals it is still less then 100$ a year to me :)

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Surely you mean 4 qts?

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I used to use only mobil 1 synthetic in my 300zx twin turbo. The extra heat the turbo bearings generate warranted using it because synthetic typically has a higher flash point and doesn't burn and coke the bearings as easily.

I use Wal-Mart supertech in my prius. It's $2 / qt currently when bought in a 5 qt bottle and exceeds all the API service requirements. I've used it in my SC400 for the last 300K miles and did a recent compression test and all 8 cylinders were within 2 psi of maximum with no carbon build up on pistons or valve chambers and original honing cross hatch still visible(verified with fiberoptic borsescope with and without right angle mirror attachment).

Spend more time and energy changing PSD/transaxle every 30K miles. Almost everyone changes oil too frequently or spends too much money on oil and ignores their transmission. I can't recall the last time I ever heard of an internally lubricated part in an engine fail but I hear transmission failure stories constantly. I usually ask how often they changed their transmission fluid. The answer is usually never because either the dealer never did it/recommended it, or there wasn't a change interval in the manual.

8. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    He's probably buying a 5 qt bottle. That's what I do. Three 5 qt bottles does 5 oil changes with the oil level half way up the fill mark.

9. cyclopathic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Autozone, Advance Autoparts, etc usually have the 30$ Mobil 1 oil change special every few month. Package includes 5qt of any Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 filter.

Yes you only need 4qt 12oz for change on Gen III

10. wesayso

wesayso Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Picked up a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 0W20 for 24.50 today at my local Wally World.

11. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what mobil 1 filter works for the Prius? I checked the book at advanced auto today and they only had numbers for Fram and Purelator.

12. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    nevermind, i just found it on mobil 1's website. M1C 154. I like to buy the oil/filter at advance for that deal that offer too, but i'm not sure my store has this filter. i may have to go with the fram.

13. turnbowm

turnbowm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to "experts" on various forums (BITOG, etc.), the Fram filters are very poor quality. The OEM (Toyota) filter would be a much better choice.