1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modding display to hook up PC/Mac

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tundrwd, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Anyone hooked up a Mac or PC (especially something akin to the Gumstix PC gumstix - dream, design, deliver )?

My '09 Prius has been ordered, but I didn't want to get the Nav unit. I'm wondering about hooking up a PC with a GPS program (Roadnav) into the display unit, which will provide MP3 play, video play, GPS Navigation, etc.

I've seen some older posts about a couple of people doing this, but the info is about 3-4 years old, and was done in '04/05 model Prii. Wondering if anyone has info on doing this type of thing in an '08 (I'm assuming the difference between '08 and '09 will be neglible).

2. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This might be one of the older references you found: Mac Prius

MP3car.com has a lot of information on carPCs and is a good resource but very little of it deals with the special concerns of the Prius.

The main obstacles with using the MFD are getting the AVCLAN/IEBus to recognize your PC as a valid input device and then synchronizing the required signals. The first problem is really two additional problems. Some people have tricked the AVCLAN into thinking their MAC/PC was a 6 CD changer. The MFD would display signals form the PC but the MFD was unusable for input. Touchscreen input is necessary for most of the applications that make the PC useful.

I have an '08 and have decided to go with a single DIN motorized touchscreen that will go in the map area under the factory head unit. The actual PC will go under the driver's seat or the cargo area. This option keeps the factory head unit and avoids the current headaches with going through the AVCLAN/IEBus.

Good luck.