1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Modding Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by techogurl, Nov 12, 2004.

1. techogurl

techogurl New Member

So I'm getting a white '05 in a week to week and half... but I've never modded anything before. Always wanted too...but have never had the money. Steady job and new hottness car = can mod :mrgreen:

From looking at the other posts, I am thinking of looking into the 3M plastic, mud flaps, side molding, and some stickers.

In my area, 3M seems to be the only choice. Is this stuff really hard to put on yourself? I have alot of friends who are super into cars that I could probably bribe with beer. Or would it be better to just get it done at a shop?

Are the best deals for the mud flaps still about $50 for the set from Canada? I'm pretty sure I can manage putting these on myself.

As for side molding... I like the look, but was wondering what different types of molding everyone has considered. Whould you go to a shop to have them put on or friends/yourself?

The stickers I've seen on some of the cars are quite nice. :D I was wondering if there are other sticker sets out there that anyone is aware of. Has a PriusChat sponsored set been created? Also would it be hard to submit art?

Has anyone thought of doing lighting inside the car similar to the Scion setups?

Finally... I am familar with changing a car's set of rims due to looks, but do the vents actually affect fuel economy? For example, if one were to install what I have heard to be called "moon" rims meaning flat surfaced alum with no vents. Would that adversely change assuming that diameter and wieght are similar? This is more of a curiousity question.

Thanks everyone.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Other mods are

• I thought about the side moldings, still am some. but one thing I noticed is that the back doors of most cars curve over the rear tire. Thus the height that door would hit is substantially higher than the front door. It seems you would need 2 strips on each side of the car. I don't think that would look very nice at all. Even then you can't match the contact point for every potential ding.

3. techogurl

techogurl New Member

• I consider those mods more functionality vs appearance, so I didn't post them on this forum. With some more research, I'll figure out which functionality type mods I'd like to do.

As for the side moldings, I've seen a few pics of cars with molding. Most of them look really nice. They were all one bar.

4. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oops, I forgot they split the forum a while back!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Remember, work first, then the beer.

Repeat: work first, then the beer.
    This applies to car mods, moving homes, home repairs, and just about anything else. ;-)

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could add a VVT-i emblem :p The "i" is in red. I have that on mine just under the TOYOTA emblem.

7. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Congrats on the new Prius. I'd have someone professional do the 3M plastic installation, especially if you are thinking of doing a large area like the hood. The stuff is tricky to handle because you need to keep the plastic and the surface it's going on, watered and also moistened with this solution that comes with the plastic film... and you need to be in a virtually dust free area or you will have little bumps under the plastic and your car will look like wrapped leftovers. Once it's installed correctly, it looks fine and is almost invisible. Not sure what the long term prognosis is.

You can get a hood protector made of hard smoked plexiglass that fits nicely on the hood and does a great job of deflecting bugs and rocks. It is pretty easy to install and does not sit right on the paint as the 3M stuff does.

The Canadian mud flaps are great; sturdy and effective. To install them requires removing each wheel but is otherwise not that difficult. I waited until my 5k tire change and had the dealer put them on while rotating the tires. It cost me about 50 bucks in labor but it was worth having it done right and not having me sitting on a wet sidewalk cursing at the car.

Other mods you might consider are LED interior plug in lights that you can stick into the power outlets for a subtle effect. I have four of them in my car and they cast a nice soft green and blue light under the dash and on the cup holder.

Toyota Town in Langley, BC can get you the mudflaps and the plastic hood protector (there are photos of both in the album section) delivered UPS in only a few days. They are nice folks and have stuff that American dealers apparently don't carry.

Good luck
    B

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Bob, the LEDs you're talking about. Do they only come on when you plug it into the power socket and the car is on? Did you use an automotive version or those that you install in computer cases?

9. techogurl

techogurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen\";p=\"50959)</div>
    I found out that this place near where I am getting the car has Lumar film so I plan to have them install that since it's clearer and has the lifetime warrenty. I think the quote I got was pretty decent, but am not sure what others are paying. They are going to cut pieces at the shop there from some master kit. What they don't install, I am allowed to keep and attempt to do myself...if the cost gets to high.

I've already ordered some ExactMats and the Mud Guards from Metro Toyota link I found here b/c they had free shipping and were the best deal I could find overall for the mats and about the same for the mud guards.

Am currently trying to find a better deal than $68 + 9 shipping for the color coded door edge guards. Any suggestions?

As for interior lighting... I'm glad that someone else has decided that the look would be cool. Right now I'm looking into using the wire as found in the Scion setups. I should be able to get a discount on it when I buy my car from the dealership.

10. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen\";p=\"50959)</div>
    Actually, you can install the front flaps with the wheels on, just move the car a bit and turn the wheels hard to the side on which you are installing the flap. On the other hand, it is a good chance to find the jack points in case you need to do it in low light conditions some time.

11. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Howdy,

As far as your wheel concern goes...

On a car like this there will probably be a noticable difference in fuel economy, handling, and road-feel if you were to get different sized rims. I don't think you should have any major problems as long as they are the same size as the stock wheels.

It is my opinion that the Prius brakes probably won't require a whole lot of venting. It isn't a very heavy car, most Prius-drivers are gentle when it comes to speed and braking, and a good portion of heat energy is collected by MG2.

You've got nothing to worry about. Go with the moon-rims.

And stickers...well...no comment other than... I like to keep badges under the hood.

(a personal preference)

~Andrew

PS What are moon rims? :oops: any pictures for us?

12. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

where can I find the speed sensor cutout switch mod (so a passenger can do nav stuff while the car is in motion).

13. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Costal Dave has them in his store

Edit Note: Ok... I swear that there was a link for this, but don't see it now. Hmm.

14. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  15. techogurl

techogurl New Member

16. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but it has nothing to do with a Coastal Tech product. :) I knew Evan pioneered a 'roll your own' and kindly posted the instructions. From your post I thought maybe Coastal Dave had put together a kit.