1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model S buyers view of the Leaf

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by efusco, May 5, 2010.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've lost the original thread where the topic came up, but someone suggested that many of the 2000 people who've reserved a Model S would be considering and likely would change their reservation to a Nissan Leaf b/c they'd want the first available highway capable EV. I thought that unlikely b/c of range and performance issues.

So, I put the question to the folks at Teslamotorsclub.com in the Model S forum. You can read the 2 pages of replies HERE. But, to summarize, no one was pulling their Model S reservation in favor of the Leaf. But the reasons were what surprised me...most b/c they want a luxury vehicle. Indeed they'd take another luxury car (some said a Lexus hybrid, others would go conventional vehicle) before they'd go with the Leaf even if it became clear that the Model S was not going to happen. :eek:

2. rpatterman

rpatterman Thinking Progressive

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Surprises me, I thought there would be more people that just wanted to get away from petro and would jump on the first production EV available. Well, I have been wong before...

Seems the Model S with 300 mile range pushes beyond everyones "range anxiety".

Not said, but between the lines, it seems that the luxury, $50k buyer just will not consider being seen in a Datsun..

3. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might be wrong, but I was right for the wrong reason! I, too, was surprised at how key the luxury component was...I just consider it a bonus....even more, I consider it the price I have to pay to get the EV range I want.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's surprising. I thought Leaf is pretty loaded. That's not luxurious enough? Maybe it is the styling of the Leaf?

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's pretty nicely equipt with tech stuff, but it's definately not a luxury class vehicle. And it's enough for me..and I thought it would be for many. My hesitation is the range, if I got a Leaf it would have to be a 3rd vehicle for my family, while I'll certainly enjoy the luxury of the Leaf, it's not my main, or even a high priority for me even though I can afford it. I'd rather save and invest the savings.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's the name. Nissan doesn't ooze luxury. Their Infinity brand is having big problems lately.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd have guessed that the Tesla S customers would have had EV as the major aspect of their interest, and I'd have guessed they'd have done as I would, had I gotten in a reservation on the S early enough: I'd buy the first full-on EV to become available, and assuming that will be the Leaf, I'd then have traded up to the S when it became available.

I'm not into luxury (I guess that's obvious from my present daily driver) but the added range of the S would be a big plus. Take what I can get, and take improvements as they come along.

But if those people are more interested in luxury, they can buy a luxury car now, and get one that's a known quantity. Why wait for an EV if all they want is luxury? Obviously they'd prefer a luxury EV over a luxury stinker.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting... esp. since the Prius cross all boundaries (i.e. owners have previously owned anything from a Mazda to a Maserati)

9. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    So, most of them are basically willing to cut CO2 emissions - but ONLY if it didn't affect their life style in anyway. No "compromises" as I read over there.

Homo sapiens will extract and burn every last bit of hydrocarbons in order to preserve the lifestyle before worrying about pesky things like the planet ... sigh.

10. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting. I have a deposit on a Leaf, even though I really need a 120 mile range not 100 miles. I may not get it. BUt just in case they extend the electric car pool stickers in California (they expire Jan 1, 2011)......car pool stickers are key around here.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, as I see it we should be able to have our luxuries, but we need a find a way to provide them that's more eco friendly. But to some degree I agree with you, I'll sacrifice some luxuries to support the technology to allow it to develop so that I can have the luxury and the tech someday.

12. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I think some of those people have more money than sense (oh, did I say that out loud).

1 person likes this.
  13. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is the Tesla Model S luxury yes, but when you consider buying a leaf as a second or third car, isn't that (a) luxury (particularly if it's a third car or two cars for one person)?

Are the Leaf owners going to be the stereotypical "new prius" owners so smug and self righteous? maybe buying a third car is a person having more money than sense.

The fact is the Model S has more than 1.5 times the range of a leaf (160 miles base pack) seats 5/2 jump seats for children. Has 2 trunks (one in rear one in front) Gives you the consumer an option for more range if you are willing to pay for it (at launch). Performance and range that other evs and hybrids could only dream of. Add the fact that the Model S is a nice looking car (subjective). The Model S will be the cheapest luxury car to maintain. many people, myself included, find that very attractive. The Competition have nothing close and one driver moving from a gas guzzling luxury car to a tesla would have the greater impact than someone moving from a prius to a LEAF.

I'd rather put a little bit more money into one car that I will enjoy and will suit my needs instead of buying 2 new cars just so I can have the privilege of owning a LEAF.

14. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Umm, well that doesn't make much sense since almost everyone here already has a Prius, so we are not selling our Priu to buy a Leaf, most will be adding it, with the eventual thought that the Prius can go away, once the 200 mile battery pack option comes out for the Leaf in 5 years. I would rather spend 25K now, and wait for the battery technology to improve and the price to come down when the 1st Leaf pack has to be replaced, than to dump my Prius, spend what, $60K? no thanks. I'll keep both, thank you.

15. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

ummm, well that doesn't make much sense (just a much sense as buying a luxury car), You already spent (or soon will spend) 60k (56k) 24k (in your case 32k) for a prius and 32k for leaf, then wait 5 years just to have what the tesla will launch with. then have to put extra money for 200 mile pack. if I used your methodology i could deal with 160 miles, wait five years and have a pack that has a 600 mile range.

It makes no finacial sense to own both a prius and a leaf (for one person), or adding the leaf as a third car just so people can pat themselves on the back and say I have an EV. That to me is someone having more money than sense. I say if you are going to go EV, go all the way and cut the gas lines completely. With a Model S I (and many others) would be able to do that.

16. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    But, when is S getting sold ? By that time Leaf lease may be getting over ...

EVs don't make strict financial sense anyway - nor does any luxury car or even Prius. Obviously people are looking for something else - environmental and/or oil security issues. Thats why it makes little sense to read Model S people say they will just buy an ICE car if S doesn't get produced.

17. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How about the fact that The Model S provides the best solution to those peoples needs and the LEAF doesn't?

18. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I already own the Prius, I traded in my 2004 for a 2010 model V, loaded, a while back. I paid CASH for it and have no costs to keep it other than insurance, when the Leaf arrives the Prius will stay parked for all except trips beyond the Leafs range, thereby using NO GAS most of the time. I drive 35 miles roundtrip every weekday to work, the Leaf is going to be used for that, and for local trips. I plan on Leasing the leaf for the $379/month (SL version), so I can return it in 3 years or buy it out. I will still have less money spent than you will with your imaginary Tesla Model S, in 3 years counting all lease payments and the cash I put out for my updated Prius that will only be used occasionly. When you are getting your model S (if/when they make it), the first generation Leafers wll be getting ready to upgrade their EV's, or get better battery packs.

$33.6K for the loaded Prius (minus the $8K trade in on the 2004, $27K cash paid including tax/title/plates), plus about $1999 down + 35 monthly payment of $379 = $15264 for the 3 years use of the Leaf. total cost is $42K, and I have the Prius now, and the Leaf when it arrives on the east coast (mid 2011). still much less than $60K, and I'm using some of it now. I don't have a range issue with 160 miles, I can go nearly 500 miles with the Prius, if I need to. When gas is sky high, I won't need to even think about it, the Prius will be parked with a full tank when I need it.

19. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think that ljbad4life's point was that your Prius will become an expensive driveway ornament once you get the Leaf and will cost you a significant amount of money just sitting there depreciating.

If you insist on having a gasoline car backup, an econobox beater would make a lot more financial sense once you get the Leaf.

20. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    How can you compare a leased price to a bought priced? I'm sure a 35 month lease on a Model S won't be 60k. You still paid the price either today, yesterday or anyother day. have fun with your imaginary 200 mile pack (if/when they make it). By the time Nissan comes to making it there will be far more choices in the price range that aren't based on a versa.