1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Model V has only manual headlight switch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by alvet, Sep 25, 2009.

1. alvet

alvet New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took delivery yesterday of a 2010 Prius V with Adv. Tech. package.

Despite all the tech, there is no 'Auto' mode on the head light switch.

There is a round sensor on top of the dashboard toward the passenger side which the salesman thought was the sensor for the headlights.

Do any other V's have Auto-headlights?

2. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    None of the US models do.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is worth noting, if you turn on your headlights, you need never turn them off again.

4. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you leave them on all the time (LEDs should last a lot longer), when you shut the car off, after 30 seconds (factory default), the lights will shut off (assuming you follow the right procedure -- do a quick search to find out what makes it not work). If you hit the lock button (on the key fob only 2 or 3 times) it will shut them off, and finally, I believe you can have the dealer program the lights to auto-shut off when you lock the car (rather than 30 sec). The only disadvantage is that you have to leave them on all day.

5. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As previously suggested, the headlights are fully automatic. Read the Owners Manual, you'll be more comfortable turning on your headlights once, learning to not miss the warning beep that your lights are on, and never have to touch the switch, ever again. --TK

6. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    All the V's have auto headlights. Turn then on and leave them alone. When you turn off the car and close all the doors, the headlights go off after 30 seconds ... or if you use your key fob ... click lock twice and the lights will go out.

It's easy to check. Turn off your car, exit your car, close the doors, and watch the lights. They WILL go off after 30 seconds.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is not fully automatic! It is an auto-off feature. I just had a rental Corolla that had fully automatic lights. They turned on once the ambient light was at a low level, and they turned off when there was sufficient ambient light.

U.S. Prius models do NOT have fully automatic lights.

8. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    But, who wants the headlights on FULL INTENSITY all day?

Normally, "always-on" headlights have a reduced-energy setting during the day.

In the Prius III, turning the headlights on dims the display and sets the Nav map to "night time" colors, to reduce the interior glare. However, that makes the display very difficult to see during the day.

So, headlights always on seems to be not a very good solution.

9. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interesting distinction. I guess that tells you the quality of cars I've owned... --TK

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 1994 Ford Aerostar van had fully automatic headlights. They turned on automatically when it got dark, and turned off after a timed delay once the car was powered off. It's a simple option, but Toyota chooses not to offer it in the U.S.

On my 2006 Prius, there is a blank on the dash on the driver's side where the auto headlight sensor is installed for non U.S. models. It's right next to the solar heat sensor.

Tom

11. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Solar Heat Sensor?
    Is there one on the 2010 Prius?
    If so, where, please?

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US models get the AUTO-OFF feature. The rest of the world has AUTO (i.e. auto on and off). Vehicles with full automatic headlights have a light sensor that will dim and brighten the instrument panel as necessary (so you can have the headlights on and the dash will stay in day mode and when you head into a garage, it'll dim the instrument panel)

13. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The same sensor is used for Solar heat sensor (for A/C) as is used for true auto on/off headlights. The sensor is present in all US models (since they all have A/C). It's that little "button" on the top of the dash, right side. However, in US models, there is one wire that is NOT run from the sensor to the ECU, which controls the auto on functionality.

I added true auto headlights functionality to my IV, by buying a Canada headlight stalk, running that one missing sensor wire to the ECU, and running a couple more missing wires from the new headlight stalk to the ECU. My mods (and discovery) starts here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../64812-automatic-headlights-8.html#post949009

My mods (in gory detail) are documented through the rest of that thread, which started as a thread by hawkmoon77 on adding auto headlights using a separate aftermarket module. My mod used factory circuits and also incorporated a stalk fog light switch (also present on the Canada stalk.) (There is a separate thread for the Fog Light mods.) Hawkmoon's implementation also can turn on headlights when wipers are turned on; it also requires a separate sensor to be mounted on the dash top.

Why Toyota left such a basic feature off US models (and such a technologically advanced vehicle) is a real mystery and a real miscalculation in marketing.

14. jayvee

jayvee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The "reduced energy" setting is the Daytime Running Lights option, which I believe is not available in the US, and only available with LED headlights in other countries.

15. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Question. Why would the LED headlights "last a lot longer" by being on also in the daytime when you don't need them on? :confused:

16. randy_m

randy_m New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Both my '05 Solara convertible SLE and my '04 Chrysler Pacifica have fully automatic headlights. I was surprised that my '10 Prius IV didn't come with them. Kind of a drag, but we'll get used to it.

17. Orion

Orion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can keep the display lights bright by turning the dimming switch upword past the detent and leave it on permanently. The display stays bright day and night, lights on or off.

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Those of us who drive on roads with other drivers, I want to be seen before I am run over.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He wasn't implying that they last longer if they're on during the day. He's just saying that lifespan won't be an issue if you do leave them on during the day because they do last longer.

20. garygid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JeeVee,
    Does your auto-headlight solution include a provision for a reduced-intensity daytime "running-headlights" mode?